OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Linux version host/guest
Re: Linux version host/guest [message #27855 is a reply to message #27847] Fri, 29 February 2008 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
jmelyn is currently offline  jmelyn
Thank you again, Pavel, for your precise answer.

I'm afraid this open my mind and finally I have another question. If we decide to switch to OpenVZ for our ~ 150 servers, we need to manage them in an easy, logical manner.

Imagine we got hosts and guests running fine. One day a kernel update is available for guests and we would like to spread this new version.

We have two possibilities to make the update:

1) We make a new guest cache and re-install all servers, one by one. It seems to be less than a minute for each guest to be re-installed. Brute force, local data must be saved-restored. This is the static way of updating: /etc/vz/conf/<guest_id>.conf provides the kernel version.

2) We use vzyum (or vzrpm) from each host to update all guests. This solution is not possible as we run a 64 bit OS (based on RHEL 5.1) and vzyum (or vzrpm) cannot be installed. So we enter each guest from hosts and make the update from inside (yum or rpm). This is the dynamic way of updating: the config file does not give the kernel version and we have to check it.

So here is my question: Is the dynamic kernel update is possible (then how check Linux version?), usable and used? Or the static way is a better solution even if there is a bit more work...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How to force a frozen VE to stop?
Next Topic: Problem with OpenVPN in VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 15:38:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04543 seconds