OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Is it practical/possible to have openvz with mutiple VEs on a single IP?
Re: Is it practical/possible to have openvz with mutiple VEs on a single IP? [message #22679 is a reply to message #22677] Thu, 01 November 2007 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JimL is currently offline  JimL
tpso wrote on Thu, 01 November 2007 07:31

Hi Jim

I run a couple of VZ-host each running a small number of domains, in different VE's.

So I believe it is both practical and possible.

I use one VE to run the apache that listens to the external port, and then uses virtual-domains and mod_proxy to forward each domain into it's own VE.

The benefits are many:
- Each domain can run different kind of web-software (php, typo3, tomcat, xplanner, twiki ect) and it is much simpler to administrate when it is running in different VE's.
- IT is possible to update one site with a new version without the risk of corrupting the others.
- It is possible to give external users access to a single domain. For that purpose it setup nat for ssh, so eg external-ip:6022 maps to the ssh-port in one VE.
- easy backup and restore of a single domian via vzdump.

So go on - I think you will be happy once you have it up and running.

regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the encouragement. I can muddle through getting mod_proxy to redirect the http requests, but is there a way to redirect "ssh www.foobar.com" to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:6062 as in your example? Or would the user have to ssh -p 6022?

There are large holes in my networking knowledge.

THanks,
Jim.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: kernel: unregister_netdevice: