OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ on x86_64: vzyum, vzpkgcache and vzrpm still broken?
Re: OpenVZ on x86_64: vzyum, vzpkgcache and vzrpm still broken? [message #22357 is a reply to message #21909] Fri, 26 October 2007 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bodysplit is currently offline  Bodysplit
Hi there,

I cannot totally agree with dowdle. I am running a CentOS 5 x64_86 install and I can make use of vzyum. Problem is, you have to do some hackery with i386 libraries to get it working and it realy is no let-go thing.

As I am using vzyum, I have setup several templates by also hacking up i386-templates. So far all is working nicely!

But about the usage perspective. It took me several weeks to get it all done, to be truthfull I cannot even recall everything I did (but there are several forum postings one can search for). Anyhow I don't have problems with running i386 nodes on a x64 host, an dual opteron 240 btw. The system has 4 GB of RAM and some more slots open to grow, so that way I still have some perspective in upgrading the system without mess. In the moment I cannot see what happens when you give a i386-node more then 4 GB of RAM. I guess it isn't a big problem, as memory is being handled by the x64 kernel.

All in all, as I see it, x64 is still something special. I would prefer it on HN, as I think PAE and stuff is a bit of hack.

--
This doesn't look comfortable...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos-5 x86_64 installation failes
Next Topic: See Trafic per VMs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 15 22:58:24 GMT 2024