OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ on x86_64: vzyum, vzpkgcache and vzrpm still broken?
Re: OpenVZ on x86_64: vzyum, vzpkgcache and vzrpm still broken? [message #21909 is a reply to message #21902] Wed, 17 October 2007 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
To the best of my knowledge the posting is still valid. The little comments you'll find in the wiki post about adapting it to work in CentOS 5 environment did not work for me.

I don't use vzyum from the host node. All of my VPSes have yum installed on them and work fine.

It is annoying that:

1) You can't use vzyum from the hardware node - work around, use yum inside your VPSes.

2) You can't build an OS template cache from os template metadata because vzyum is used - work around, build your OS template caches on i386 machines or use a pre-created OS template. If hard up, you can actually use rpm to install downloaded packages to install yum inside your VPS... although manually figuring out the deps (since you are using rpm and not yum) is not fun but I've done it.

3) Duplicated disk space - Not a problem unless you are low on diskspace... and it also takes up additional space on system backups if not excluded from backup - work around, empty out the caches when you aren't building a template. This isn't much of a problem if you maintain a LAN based repo system and pulling everything again is local.

So far as x86_64 vs. i386... if you have more than 4GB of RAM on the host node it makes a lot of sense to run an x86_64 flavor of a distro on the hardware node. For VPSes, I don't think it matters much because the single kernel on the system is x86_64 so you are going to get the memory management benefits... even though from the VPS context, an i386 VPS lies and says it is an i386 kernel.

I'm not aware of any benefits of running an x86_64 based VPSes. It is my understanding that many x86_64 distros install duplicate packages (both x86_64 and i386) so that takes up more disk space.

If you have some 64-bit specific application that would benefit from a 64-bit libraries in the VPS, then things might be different.

I have to admit that I don't have a lot of experience with x86_64 distros and advanced use of them... so some of my information is debatable I'm sure. If someone wants to point me to some benchmark or story someone has done that shows otherwise, I'd love to read it.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos-5 x86_64 installation failes
Next Topic: See Trafic per VMs
Goto Forum: