OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Sizing openvz for Linux physical servers - guidelines?
Re: Sizing openvz for Linux physical servers - guidelines? [message #21366 is a reply to message #20677] Fri, 05 October 2007 20:09 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Guidelines for hardware?

Not that I know of. The problem is... the devil is in the details. Imagine if you will... the system resource values as listed by Linux distro makers. You can see the minimum requirements and the recommended requirements... but do those meet everyone's needs? Then factor in the fact that a VPS can be one of a handful of different distros... and a run a wide variety of services. It is hard to predict.

A VPS running Zimbra is going to need a LOT of resources, and if it has a lot of users, disk space. But a VPS that is simply hosting some static web pages for a light traffic web site, not so much.

I read somewhere (that I'd like to find again) that you can have about 16,000 processes (and I hope my memory is accurate on this) on a single box before performance starts taking a dive. At 32,000 processes you are almost guaranteed a lockup.

If you are a hosting provider, you can create several different account categories where you set values for number of processes, amount of RAM, and disk storage space... so when you set limits like that, it is easier to get closer to right.

You'd really need to do a pilot program and see for yourself what your VPSes need and what hardware meets those needs.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Clearing bean counters
Next Topic: Howto enable LVM inside VE
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 05 17:17:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07910 seconds