OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* CentOS5 Template Metadata package?
Re: udev breaky things [message #20565 is a reply to message #20557] Fri, 21 September 2007 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
steve is currently offline  steve
dowdle wrote on Thu, 20 September 2007 13:26

Steve,

Seems to be a winner dude!!!

Here's what I did to test it out to the max:

1) Edited the /vz/template/centos/5/i386/config/default.list and added mc, nano and yum.

2) Built a template with vzpkgcache -f centos-5. That went perfectly.

3) Created a CentOS 5 a VPS with a 10GB diskspace and lots of resources.

4) Entered the VPS and configured yum to use my LAN based repos.

5) Used yum groupinstall to install almost all package groups that were available:

yum groupinstall "Office/Productivity" "Engineering and Scientific" "MySQL Database" "Development Libraries" "Editors" "GNOME Software Development" "X Software Development" "GNOME Desktop Environment" "Authoring and Publishing" "Games and Entertainment" "Legacy Software Development" "Emacs" "Legacy Software Support" "X Window System" "Graphics" "Ruby" "Printing Support" "KDE Software Development" "Sound and Video" "Administration Tools" "Development Tools" "Graphical Internet" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

That was about 1GB worth of packages but over the LAN it was very fast.

I'd say that's a pretty good test.

Quote:

Oddly enough that installed a kernel package... so I immediately did:

rpm -e kernel systemtap-runtime systemtap gnome-volume-manager gnome-session

I came so close to excluding the kernel from yum updates as well, but I didn't think it would ever get pulled in. I'll add it the next time I roll the package.

Quote:

I had to add the additional packages to the removal list to keep rpm from griping about requirements. I wonder what would have happened if I left the kernel installed? Probably nothing bad, eh?

6) Created a regular user, logged in as that user, created a .vnc/xstartup that starts KDE and started vncserver with:
vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16

7) Ran vncviewer on my desktop and connected... installed a ton more applications including Sun's JDK 6u2 with Netbeans 5.5.1, Eclipse, flash-plugin, Acrobat Reader 8.1.1 (released last week). I did all of this stuff to configure the machine just like one of my CS lab machines.

Everything worked great.

I shut the VPS down. Started it again, and repeated the VNC test and everything worked great. I can't seem to break it. Smile

I copied all of the commands I did into a text file while I was doing all of the testing. I destroyed the VPS and then repeated everything again, and it worked fine.

Anything else you can think of that you'd like me to test???

Good job!

Just keep me updated if anything breaks. I'm determined to keep this working as I'm using it in production now and I really don't want any surprises.

Wow, you've peaked my interest. I've just got to do the graphical thing now....

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message