OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Question about memory resource parameters
Re: Question about memory resource parameters [message #2007 is a reply to message #2005] Mon, 13 March 2006 16:52 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Zimbra is actually a combination of a number of things including Postfix (I think that's the MTA they use), OpenLDAP, MySQL, a Java based application that runs in a JVM (I believe), amavisnew, and spamassassin. It starts up a number of services/processes and with all of that, is very RAM hungry.

It attempts to start everything, one service at a time... and if you don't have enough RAM, it just fails at some point.

I haven't tried it in a VPS yet but I will.

So, if I understand you correctly, there may be advantages to running the "Enterprise" kernel even if you don't have greater than 4GB of RAM or SMP? ...along with some additional processing overhead as a negative consequence.

I do believe my point about Memory Resource parameters is still valid... they are pretty confusing to non-kernel hackers and they aren't well documented in the OpenVZ User's Guide... and additional, more complete documentation is desirable.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 64Bit CPU Required for high RAM OpenVZ Servers?
Next Topic: using network aliases
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 19 20:26:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04908 seconds