OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » configuration needed for P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and 2GB swap
Re: configuration needed for P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and 2GB swap [message #16062 is a reply to message #16029] Mon, 20 August 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
locutius is currently offline  locutius
nice reply

i investigated VMware or Xen 18 months ago when this project was started and decided then i could not operate VPS under the conditions of their use

the VPS are intended to run MySQL intensive high-traffic web applications (hence the multi dual-core cpu HN). security is also an issue with these sites and the HN has to run antidos parsing and high volume ipfiltering (2.6million+ ips) to protect the VPS services

i have 2 x VPS now operational on the HN but the admins have not yet cranked up the traffic, so we will have to wait and see what the real limits are going to be and what needs to be done to the config

vzsplit is the definitive application for anyone setting up VZ. the first thing to do on your box is run vzsplit to determine the true HN limits. then edit the template config and adjust the settings to your expectations for the VPS (set RAM and Disk). of course this is only good when all VPS are the same, but it is a better place to start than the default config because the default config does not reflect your true HN capabilities

vzsplit is also useful because it educates how VZ is treating the i/o level of the o/s. some settings are more important than others, while there are upper/lower limits to others, and many of the settings are directly interrelated. i discovered this running vzsplit for 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, 48, 54 (61 is the limit) ways then comparatively reading the configuration output. i recommend this to everyone to get a grasp of how VZ is working and how to configure your VPS

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message