OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » configuration needed for P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and 2GB swap
Re: configuration needed for P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and 2GB swap [message #16029 is a reply to message #16024] Sun, 19 August 2007 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
locutius wrote on Sat, 18 August 2007 15:09

the wiki gives the impression of a fast start up which you can then run with and tune as you go. but that is not the reality because of the default configs which are conservative rather than generous.

As stated previously, for a default we want conservative rather than generous. That is a judgement call. If it was the other way around there would be a group of people asking why. There isn't really a way to choose and make everyone happy.

Quote:

today i am editing my own templates and making my own configs but only by necessity

Good. Using vzsplit? It is pretty darn handy... but then again... you STILL have to monitor your UBCs and adjust for failures until it is tuned. Again, this is the nature of the beast. All of the other virtualization products don't give you much choice... you absolutely must dedicate to each virtual machine as many resources (especially with regards to memory) as you would a physical machine... and that means you can only fit a handful of virtual machines per physical machine. With OpenVZ you can easily fit dozens and even hundreds if you machines are only a couple of lighter weight apps. And again, OpenVZ let's you manage all of the resources dynamically... so you can adjust anything on the fly. With that flexibility does come complexity.

Quote:

the single blocker i hit was deep in the HN network config that could not have been solved from the documentation, the solution required knowledge from experience. i maintain this is a hole in the wiki because it is intuitive to map IPs to a HN NIC

Let me ask you this... if you had been installing VMware or Xen would you have assumed that you need to pre-configure the host machine for all of the network interfaces you plan to use in virtual machines? I'm guessing not.

Quote:

is this sane?

SHMPAGES="6553:6553"

i guessed to reduce the PRIVVMPAGES by a factor 10

It might be sane if your virtual machine will work with those values. I can only tell you what the VPSes I run need. I run a few fairly heavy VPSes, a few pretty light ones... and a couple of absolute pigs. The configs between those machines vary greatly.

The pig VPSes are running Zimbra (only one Zimbra VPS per physical host though). Zimbra's system requirements basically say that Zimbra should be installed on a standalone server as the only application.

With OpenVZ I've been able to run Zimbra in a VPS along with 6 other VPSes on the hardware node... and while it did take me about a week to get it tweaked, I haven't had to change any of the resource settings since... and the two boxes I have running Zimbra have been doing so for about a year and a half.

If your VPSes are all a like, then vzsplit will do almost all of your work for you.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message