OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » configuration needed for P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and 2GB swap
Re: configuration needed for P4 2GHz 1GB RAM and 2GB swap [message #15707 is a reply to message #15672] Fri, 10 August 2007 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
He Jan
snoozer wrote on Thu, 09 August 2007 22:00

i am completely puzzled by the configuration options for memory. i am looking for a way to use 6 VM's sharing the resources of an P4 2GHz with 1 GB Ram and 2 GB Swap.

You can try to use vzsplit utility -- it splits the Hardware Node into equal parts and generate a sample VE configuration file
Then you can tune this file four your requirements.

i keep having trouble with error messages like "cannot allocate memory".

it looks like a shortage for privvmpages resource, this parameter limits the memory allocations. You can try to increase its value: a lot of applications do not use the memory efficiently and, sometimes, allocated memory will newer be used later.

the very strange thing is that the VM's do not use any swap.

VE shares system memory -- and therefore some part of memory used by applications inside VE can be swapped.

However do you probably mean that swap is not used on your HW node? It is sign that your VE are not used all node resources -- probably due too low values in VE config files. I hope that vzsplit helps you to create proper VE configuration files for your node.

Thank you,
Vasily Averin

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message