OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ cluster
Re: OpenVZ cluster [message #15488 is a reply to message #15485] Wed, 01 August 2007 21:38 Go to previous message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
i would avoid nfs like the plague. when you read about what nfs can do, and use it in its most basic form, it does work great. its quick and cheap to deploy. when you start doing tons of concurrent and random io operations to your nfs box, from my experience, even with all of the tweaks on google and oreilley books, you are going to get dog slow performance, I am talking about xx or xxx KB/sec.

If you want good performance for remote storage there are some new options available, iscsi and ata over ethernet. to use these effectively you need to be using a switch supporting jumbo frames and configure your networ interface appropriately. using standard mtu will seriously degrade performance due to 1500byte fragmentation. from my experience, 2Gbit fiber channel blows the doors off everythign else in terms of performance, but it may be pricey depending on what business application you are using it for. I am using apple xserve xraid units, which are 2X 6x @raid10 sata. I regularly see throughput rates of XX MB/sec writes and 5000-10000 trans/sec writes. if you can manage this over nfs, I would be glad to purchase your consulting services Wink. check out apple's fiber channel units or if you find another solution, let me know as I am interested in this area of computing.

Rick

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Slackware 10.2 precreated template cache