OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Virtuozzo and OpenVZ kernel differences
Re: Virtuozzo and OpenVZ kernel differences [message #10717 is a reply to message #10651] Tue, 27 February 2007 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mikov is currently offline  mikov
If it is only the user mode tools, they can put whatever restrictions on them. Not good for free software, but SWSoft must make money after all.

However I am convinced that all virtualization related kernel extensions are inherently based on the Linux kernel, and so can only be licensed under the GPL. This is what my initial post was about.

By the terms of the GPL, SWSoft MUST provide their customers with the source of the kernel modules at the time of the sale; the customers MUST be free to do anything with the source - any additional restrictions would violate the GPL. I am assuming they are doing this. Alternatively SWSoft MUST make their kernel changes publicly available on their web site - apparently they are not doing that.

If they are not doing that either one of these things, they are probably in a violation of the GPL. However I personally have no great desire to stir this too much, because they are making a great contribution by maintaining a GPL OpenVZ. So they are _the good guys_ even if they are not 100% perfect - nobody is.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* No vzpkgls on Debian Etch
Next Topic: OpenVZ inside of VMware player, just for fun