OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ + DRBD + Heartbeat on Debian Etch
OpenVZ + DRBD + Heartbeat on Debian Etch [message #9583] Thu, 11 January 2007 14:38 Go to next message
pjdevries is currently offline  pjdevries
After quite a struggle we managed to configure HA cluster using Debian Etch, DRBD 0.7.21, Heartbeat 1.2.5-3 and OpenVZ using the article HA cluster with DRBD and Heartbeat (http://wiki.openvz.org/HA_cluster_with_DRBD_and_Heartbeat) as a guide line. However, the article is based on CentOS, with which I'm not familiar, and it appears that there are slight differences in the way OpenVZ is installed on CentOS and the way it gets installed on Debian 'out of the box' using aptitude.

In the above-mentioned article, all or most of the OpenVZ related stuff is copied to the drbd file system and symbolic links are created from the various (new) directories on the drbd file system back to the original locations. In my case I have mounted the drbd partition on /vz and copied /etc/vz, /var/lib/vz and /var/lib/vzquota to /vz and created symbolic links back to the respective locations under /etc and /var/lib. This results in:

/vz (= drbd mount)
|-etc (symlink -> /etc/vz)
|---vz
|-----conf
|-----dists
|-------scripts
|-----names
|-var
|---lib
|-----vz (symlink -> /var/lib/vz)
|-------dump
|-------lock
|-------private
|-------root
|-------template
|---------cache
|-------tmp
|-----vzquota (symlink -> /var/lib/vzquota)

This setup initially seems to work as expectd but while experimenting with creating, starting, stopping and destroying OpenVZ VE's, two times we experienced problems which vaguely seem to be related to locking issues. Both times the problems were preceded by an unintentional Heartbeat/DRBD failover/recovery sequence but it's difficult to determine if that actually caused the problems. A third, intentional failover/recovery sequence did not cause the same problems.

I have a couple of questions:

- Has anybody experienced similar problems? Have they been solved and if yes how?
- Is it likely that the problems are caused by the Heartbeat/DRBD failover/recovery sequence as a result of having 'moved' too much of the orginal OpenVZ directory structure to the drbd partition?
- Does anybody have suggestions how to avoid this kind of pitfalls?

Regards,

Pieter-Jan de Vries
Re: OpenVZ + DRBD + Heartbeat on Debian Etch [message #10617 is a reply to message #9583] Sat, 24 February 2007 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curx

Hi Pieter,

have you got some error message logged, helping to solve this problem ?

Re: OpenVZ + DRBD + Heartbeat on Debian Etch [message #10706 is a reply to message #10617] Mon, 26 February 2007 19:46 Go to previous message
pjdevries is currently offline  pjdevries
Unroftunately not. I haven't been able to reproduce it (yet) either. In the mean time I have starterd a complete re-install. If I run into similar problems again, I'll try to jot down all relevant messages and other helpfull information.

Regards,

Pieter-Jan de Vries
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Root Server - IPtables
Next Topic: Which daemons can I stop on a HN?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 09 12:52:31 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04414 seconds