OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet
arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #951] Sun, 22 January 2006 23:36 Go to next message
duswil is currently offline  duswil
A machine on my hosting company's network is claming that they have every private/non-routable IP address.

Is there a way to have arpsend *not* use eth0 for private IP addresses? I have a specific subnet (172.16.0.0/16) that I would like to not have arpsend talk to the outside network about.

root@elyssa:~# vzctl start 502
Starting VPS ...
VPS is mounted
Adding IP address(es): 172.16.2.3
arpsend: 172.16.2.3 is detected on another computer : 00:07:84:46:74:0a
vps-net_add WARNING: arpsend -c 1 -w 1 -D  -e 172.16.2.3 eth0 FAILED
Setting CPU units: 1000
Set hostname: mysql
File resolv.conf was modified
VPS start in progress...
Re: arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #952 is a reply to message #951] Sun, 22 January 2006 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What calls arpsend anyway? I can't find a reference to it anywhere in any scripts.
Re: arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #953 is a reply to message #952] Mon, 23 January 2006 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the reference to arpsend. It's in vzctl's source files. I'll see if there's anything that can be done with regard to private IPs or if it even matters.
Re: arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #954 is a reply to message #953] Mon, 23 January 2006 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/usr/lib/vzctl/scripts/vps-functions
Re: arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #955 is a reply to message #951] Mon, 23 January 2006 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right now, it doesn't look like it matters whether or not it asks about the IP address. It just warns and doesn't prevent anything from happening.

The reason I brought this to the forum is because I am having problems with NAT issues and this seemed to be a common theme for the VPSes that failed to be properly SNAT'd or MASQ'd.

I'll have to bark up a different tree. Hope this waste of time (this thread) helps someone else not waste time going this route.
Re: arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #962 is a reply to message #955] Mon, 23 January 2006 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dim is currently offline  dim
Issue may be due to some network interface up, but with no cable present. Workaround is ifdown such interface.

http://static.openvz.org/openvz_userbar_en.gif
Re: arpsend problem, have it not talk to about specific subnet [message #975 is a reply to message #962] Mon, 23 January 2006 17:17 Go to previous message
The problem I'm having is this:

* VPSes with public IP addresses work just fine. They can be talked to from the outside, they can talk to the outside and get responses back (as a client to HTTP, ping, etc).

* VPSes with private IP addresses can't talk to the outside and get responses back.

I've tried tuning and tweaking my iptables scripts, but it doesn't seem to matter. I've tried using your SNAT HOWTO, but it doesn't seem to change it. Maybe I'm doing the SNAT wrong, but I don't think I am.

At first glance, it looks strictly like an SNAT/MASQ problem. I've set up plenty of MASQ scripts in my life, so I wouldn't think I would have such a hard time with it this go around.

The network configuration is this:

* lo
* eth0: public IP address
* eth0:1: public IP address
* venet0

I notice that there is the "POINTOPOINT" flag for venet0. Is there something special I would need to do with regard to that? Any missing software, etc?

Thanks for the help!
Dusty
Previous Topic: install wildfire instant messaging server
Next Topic: OpenVZ OS Requirements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 04:23:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03698 seconds