OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ?
Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ? [message #9280] Mon, 25 December 2006 04:58 Go to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
OK - I want to learn this OpenVZ stuff and test it out. Started fooling around with my FC6 box and running into a few problems like Missing Dependency: cElementTree.so is needed by package vzyum.

So - before I waste a lot of time I want to start out right and maybe someone can tell me if I have the right idea.

I want to run what will eventually be some sort of cluster of boxes that can do some of the kool stuff I've read about like moving VEs from one computer to another. I'm thinking Athlon AM2 socket dual core with maybe 8 gigs of ram for hardware. I want to run a 64 bit operating system, but as host and VE.

I prefer FC6 because I'm familiar with it but will settle for something else if someone tells me why I should.

So - I want to be somewhat successful early in testing so I'm thinking I might build up a box just for trying this out. And I'm looking for whatever is easiest to get something working so that I can learn it and maybe go back and do it right later.

So - what hardware should I try? What OS is most compatible? Should I try a 32 bit OS first? Looking for the easy path just to learn it.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ? [message #9282 is a reply to message #9280] Mon, 25 December 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Quote:

Started fooling around with my FC6 box and running into a few
problems like Missing Dependency: cElementTree.so is needed by package
vzyum.

This is a known problem, that probably will not be fixed soon. It only
takes place on x86_64 bit machines. On such machines you have to stick to
precreated templates and use rpm/yum inside a VE to apply updates,
but don't use vzyum. Sorry.

Quote:

So - what hardware should I try? What OS is most compatible?
Should I try a 32 bit OS first? Looking for the easy path just
to learn it.

1) OpenVZ fully supports x86, x86_64, ia64, ppc64 and sparc. You can use any of these architectures. Don't forget to choose right kernel flavor:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Different_kernel_flavors_%28UP%2C_SMP %2C_ENTERPRISE%2C_ENTNOSPLIT%29

2) As you can see OpenVZ community provides binary versions of
kernel/tools via rpm-packages. So, I guess, RPM-based distribution fit
more than others.

HTH,
Vasily.
Re: Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ? [message #9287 is a reply to message #9282] Mon, 25 December 2006 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mperkel is currently offline  mperkel
OK - why is it that the 64 bit OS problems won't be fixed soon. And I'm still wondering which OS is best to get started quick that is most compatible?

Re: Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ? [message #9290 is a reply to message #9287] Mon, 25 December 2006 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
augustz is currently offline  augustz
Also interested in this actually.

I've been using OpenVZ very happily in Fedora Core 5, but the fedora world moves pretty quickly and there is not a lot of legacy support, so was planning on moving to Fedora Core 6 sometime in the near future.

My next host node will likely be a x64 / FC6 machine... I'm in no rush though...
Re: Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ? [message #9292 is a reply to message #9287] Tue, 26 December 2006 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Quote:

OK - why is it that the 64 bit OS problems won't be fixed soon.

Perhaps, because OpenVZ template management has to be fully reworked...
You can search in forum and at bugzilla for more information.

Quote:

And I'm still wondering which OS is best to get started quick that is most compatible?

Probably, I can't say exactly... I was using OpenVZ on CentOS, Debian, Gentoo and never had OS-specific problems. So, may be somebody else here will suggest you reasonable answer. I'm still sure, that any rpm-based distribution is equally easy to start using OpenVZ. Further more, may be this results help you:
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&goto=189&pl _view=1&#msg_189

Vasily.
Re: Which Hardware and OS is best for OpenVZ? [message #10409 is a reply to message #9292] Sun, 18 February 2007 23:26 Go to previous message
Tenchi is currently offline  Tenchi
well I get:
Error: Missing Dependency: cElementTree.so is needed by package vzyum
[root@fast ~]# updatedb
[root@fast ~]# locate ElementTree
/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/cElementTree.so

so the question really is, where is it looking for the dependancy ? cause it should be able to be simply symlinked to point to the right place.
Previous Topic: running dnsmasq on VPS?
Next Topic: *CLOSED* NFS-Support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 14:22:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02747 seconds