OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Openvz - basic doubts
Openvz - basic doubts [message #9187] Thu, 21 December 2006 12:10 Go to next message
ssrulz1 is currently offline  ssrulz1
hello,

I want to install openvz on the debian server. I hvae the following doubts. please help me.

1) if i install debian on the main server, can I create VPS having distros of redhat, suse etc. can u give me any useful link for that?
2) do openvz allow overselling? if I have 2GB physical RAM, can I create 3VPS having 1GB RAM each?
3) Can you give me a url that contains step-by-step instruction to install the Openvz and configure the VPS?

I am a newbiee in VPS.
Re: Openvz - basic doubts [message #9193 is a reply to message #9187] Thu, 21 December 2006 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Quote:

1) if i install debian on the main server, can I create VPS having distros of redhat, suse etc. can u give me any useful link for that?

This is very common situation! A lot of people use such configuration.
Quote:

2) do openvz allow overselling? if I have 2GB physical RAM, can I create 3VPS having 1GB RAM each?

Well. Not RAM exactly, but various memmory resources:
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_parameters

Quote:

3) Can you give me a url that contains step-by-step instruction to install the Openvz and configure the VPS?

http://wiki.openvz.org/Installation_on_Debian
should help

Vasily.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 December 2006 15:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Openvz - basic doubts [message #9278 is a reply to message #9193] Sun, 24 December 2006 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Vasily Tarasov wrote on Thu, 21 December 2006 10:44

Quote:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Installation_on_Debian
should help

Thanks Vasily!

I reviewed the Wiki for installing on Debian and I was wondering, should the Etch (currently testing) version of the kernel patch come from the Debian package distro sites or from systs.org? It seems the Debian package is several revisions behind.

If this is the case, should the Wiki maybe be edited to have the sources file point to systs.org for Etch OpenVZ kernel patch?

Re: Openvz - basic doubts [message #9281 is a reply to message #9278] Mon, 25 December 2006 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

As I can see, OpenVZ patch of 028test007.1 version is located in Debian unstable repository. 028test007.1 version is the last one released by OpenVZ community. So I guess, not a problem.

Thank you,
Vasily.
Re: Openvz - basic doubts [message #9302 is a reply to message #9281] Wed, 27 December 2006 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jarcher is currently offline  jarcher
Vasily Tarasov wrote on Mon, 25 December 2006 02:23

Hello,

As I can see, OpenVZ patch of 028test007.1 version is located in Debian unstable repository. 028test007.1 version is the last one released by OpenVZ community. So I guess, not a problem.

Is it possible to us the latest kernel patch on Etch?
Re: Openvz - basic doubts [message #9304 is a reply to message #9302] Wed, 27 December 2006 07:18 Go to previous message
There is the last OpenVZ patch against Debian Etch kernel in Debian repository: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/kernel-patch-openv z

HTH,
Vasily.
Previous Topic: Device support for virtual environments
Next Topic: looking for a script to restart an VE via a website (controlpanel or something)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 10 08:33:03 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04700 seconds