OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Device support for virtual environments
Device support for virtual environments [message #8727] Mon, 04 December 2006 18:54 Go to next message
theof is currently offline  theof
I am interested in using openVZ and a virtual environment for a desktop. Does anyone know whether openVZ allows delegation of sound devices to a virtual environment?

Thanks,

Ted
Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #8736 is a reply to message #8727] Tue, 05 December 2006 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Yes, this should not be a problem.
Just move the sound device to the VE,
which should play sound, using vzctl's "set --devnodes" parameter.
Don't forget to load kernel module for the sound device on HN.

HTH,
Vasily.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 December 2006 07:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9053 is a reply to message #8736] Thu, 14 December 2006 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theof is currently offline  theof
Thanks Vasily,

I will follow up and set up a server. Hopefully all will go smoothly:-)

I understand that only one VM at a time can use the device.

Thanks again,

Ted
Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9150 is a reply to message #9053] Tue, 19 December 2006 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quintusopen is currently offline  quintusopen
can I use openvz' virtualization app to virtualize windows xp or vista an a linux computer and utilize windows hardware drivers in the windows virtual environment using openvz??? Beacause I have a linux computer and want to use windows compatible hardware can I do this at full speed??? like native speed???
Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9157 is a reply to message #9150] Wed, 20 December 2006 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
OpenVZ virtualization technology is based on an OS level virtualization technology (read about types of virtualization at http://wiki.openvz.org/Introduction_to_virtualization)
So you can't create Windows VEs using OpenVZ.

If you relly want to use VEs with windows, perhaps Virtuozzo Windows can help you, but it isn't open source/free unforunately.

HTH,
Vasily.
Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9168 is a reply to message #8727] Wed, 20 December 2006 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandr Andreev is currently offline  Alexandr Andreev
2 quintusopen: you need another virtualization system - a virtual machine with hardware emulation. Use Vmware for linux, it's exactly what you want as I can see
Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9197 is a reply to message #9150] Thu, 21 December 2006 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mh720 is currently offline  mh720
Or you might investigate running QEMU inside a VE, and optionally add the KQEMU kernel object to the hardware node to speed up the emulation. Even without KQEMU, QEMU can be used to run Windows and other x86 OS's under linux. A good introduction to installing windows for use with qemu (even under an OpenVZ VE) is available at:

http://www.enomaly.net/wiki.1137+M5c1693b2f05.0.html

just ignore sections 5.1.3 and 6 about uploading to Amazon's elastic computing cloud (which is where I use it)

-mike

[Updated on: Thu, 21 December 2006 20:49]

Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9204 is a reply to message #9197] Fri, 22 December 2006 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quintusopen is currently offline  quintusopen
mh720 wrote on Thu, 21 December 2006 15:49

Or you might investigate running QEMU inside a VE, and optionally add the KQEMU kernel object to the hardware node to speed up the emulation. Even without KQEMU, QEMU can be used to run Windows and other x86 OS's under linux. A good introduction to installing windows for use with qemu (even under an OpenVZ VE) is available at:

http://www.enomaly.net/wiki.1137+M5c1693b2f05.0.html

just ignore sections 5.1.3 and 6 about uploading to Amazon's elastic computing cloud (which is where I use it)

-mike

what do you mean by KQEMU added to a hardware node??? can this make the emulation of x86 hardware drivers possible??? or allow the hardware to handle emulation and make it as fast as native speed or near native???
Re: Device support for virtual environments [message #9299 is a reply to message #9204] Tue, 26 December 2006 16:22 Go to previous message
mh720 is currently offline  mh720
quintusopen wrote on Thu, 21 December 2006 20:16

what do you mean by KQEMU added to a hardware node??? can this make the emulation of x86 hardware drivers possible??? or allow the hardware to handle emulation and make it as fast as native speed or near native???

What hardware are you looking for support of? QEMU provides a 'virtual' network adapter and sound card to the emulated OS. KQEMU is a kernel module (hence needs to be on the hardware node) which speeds up some of the emulation to near native speeds. Here is the link to KQEMU's doc if you want to have a read:

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/kqemu-doc.html

-mike

[Updated on: Tue, 26 December 2006 16:24]

Previous Topic: Which kernel verison to use for OpenVz using FC5??
Next Topic: Openvz - basic doubts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 10 07:21:07 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02596 seconds