OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Note - Problem with RPM Repo versions right now maybe?
Note - Problem with RPM Repo versions right now maybe? [message #8752] Tue, 05 December 2006 13:30 Go to next message
tchipman is currently offline  tchipman
Just a comment, in case anyone else has seen this?

I'm using the OpenVZ RPM Repo for Yum so that my OpenVZ gets updated automagically when I do a "yum update" on my server (great idea IMHO and I'm really glad this is available Smile

One small wrinkle maybe though?

-I rolled an update yesterday AM

-This brought kernel up to version "2.6.9-023stab032.1-smp".

-It also updated my vzctl to version "3.0.13"

After rebooting, OpenVZ didn't start up correctly. I got errors about being unable to access /dev/vz. Double-checking my dmesg output, and then /etc/init.d/vz control script output, openvz was convinced it was running correctly... but my vzhosts didn't autostart when the system booted, and I couldn't bring them up manually.

A quick search through forums gave me a hint, that it might be a problem with the kernel and the vzctl binaries not being compatible.

So, I pulled the latest and greatest "test" kernel (2.6.18-ovz028test007.1-smp for my machine) and then rebooted using this kernel.

Bingo, everything works now "as it should" - vzctl is not pissed off at me, the vzhosts started on their own when the system booted and life is good.

however: The fact that this problem happened seems to be resting in the fact that the kernel and vzctl versions in the "auto update yum repo" right now are not exactly fully compatible

I might encourage the folks who maintain this yum repo to either

-roll back the vzctl version
-or roll a newer kernel which is compatible with the vzctl

otherwise anyone else who is using the yum repo as their vzctl update control will be equally messed up the next time they roll a yum update.

I'll leave things as they stand now, on the hope that this "test" kernel is OK for a production system. (In the past I believe I've been told as much...)

I hope this info is "correct" or at least not wrong, and possibly of some use to someone.

--Tim Chipman
Re: Note - Problem with RPM Repo versions right now maybe? [message #8753 is a reply to message #8752] Tue, 05 December 2006 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dim is currently offline  dim
vzctl 3.0.13 should work correct with stable kernels. If it is not so, please, file a bug with the description what's wrong, kernel and vzctl versions.

http://static.openvz.org/openvz_userbar_en.gif
Re: Note - Problem with RPM Repo versions right now maybe? [message #8754 is a reply to message #8752] Tue, 05 December 2006 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

You wrote:
Quote:

After rebooting, OpenVZ didn't start up correctly. I got errors about being unable to access /dev/vz. Double-checking my dmesg output, and then /etc/init.d/vz control script output, openvz was convinced it was running correctly... but my vzhosts didn't autostart when the system booted, and I couldn't bring them up manually.

Can you, please, be more precise: who outputs "errors about being unable to access /dev/vz" and precise error message, please.
Also, sorry, but I don't quite get your phrase about "double-checking" and "openvz was convinced it was running correctly".

For me 2.6.9-023stab032.1-smp kernel with vzctl version 3.0.13 works fine...

Thanks!
Re: Note - Problem with RPM Repo versions right now maybe? [message #8760 is a reply to message #8754] Tue, 05 December 2006 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

the error message was

Unable to open /dev/vzctl: No such file or directory
Please check that vzdev kernel module is loaded and you have sufficient permissions to access the file.

I can't rengerate it right now b/c the server is in production use.

-_T
Re: Note - Problem with RPM Repo versions right now maybe? [message #8761 is a reply to message #8754] Tue, 05 December 2006 17:11 Go to previous message
oops, also should have mentioned:

when in the "error state" I verified that vz thought it was running thus:

[root@host ~]# /etc/init.d/vz status
OpenVZ is running...

and also I had noted in dmesg output thus:

--paste--
Dec 4 20:12:07 host kernel: Virtuozzo Fair CPU scheduler
--endpaste--

which suggested to me that my kernel had OpenVZ features present.

T
Previous Topic: Reboot
Next Topic: vzquota : (error) Quota on syscall for 777: No such file or directory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 03:17:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02897 seconds