OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Q: Backup Client on Physical Host to pull data from VZhosts ?
Q: Backup Client on Physical Host to pull data from VZhosts ? [message #8712] Mon, 04 December 2006 14:32 Go to previous message
tchipman is currently offline  tchipman
I'm curious if there is a recommended (or functional?) way for me to use a backup client (in my case, Legato Networker, but this will probably chance sometime this year) running on the physical-hardware OS instance, so that I can backup selected directories for various virtual hosts.

ie,

-physical host runs the backup client
-vzhosts exist for mail, public web, private web
--thus I would like to backup files under

(a) physical host - critical config info from /etc
(b) vzhosts: data from locations such as

--- /vz/private/100/var/mail
--- /vz/private/101/var/www
--- /vz/private/102/var/www

this access will (clearly) be read-only, and again only for very specific directories.

I know that it is "not recommended" to access /vz/private content directly from the physical host .. but I'm curious if there is some way to get data backed up easily from the virtual hosts, without having to resort to installing a backup client (and license per virtual host client..) into each virtual host.

I'd be perfectly happy doing something like soft-links, etc. Ideally if this can be done without taking the vzhosts offline that would be preferred, of course. (presumably if I disable a given host, I would then be able to backup its /vz/private directories with impunity...? but the disruption of service for doing backups is less-than-desirable..)

Many thanks for help with this,

Tim Chipman

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 2.6.18-028test007.1 crush
Next Topic: Problem while installing template on ALT Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 17:19:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02485 seconds