OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Q: Backup Client on Physical Host to pull data from VZhosts ?
Q: Backup Client on Physical Host to pull data from VZhosts ? [message #8712] Mon, 04 December 2006 14:32 Go to next message
tchipman is currently offline  tchipman
I'm curious if there is a recommended (or functional?) way for me to use a backup client (in my case, Legato Networker, but this will probably chance sometime this year) running on the physical-hardware OS instance, so that I can backup selected directories for various virtual hosts.

ie,

-physical host runs the backup client
-vzhosts exist for mail, public web, private web
--thus I would like to backup files under

(a) physical host - critical config info from /etc
(b) vzhosts: data from locations such as

--- /vz/private/100/var/mail
--- /vz/private/101/var/www
--- /vz/private/102/var/www

this access will (clearly) be read-only, and again only for very specific directories.

I know that it is "not recommended" to access /vz/private content directly from the physical host .. but I'm curious if there is some way to get data backed up easily from the virtual hosts, without having to resort to installing a backup client (and license per virtual host client..) into each virtual host.

I'd be perfectly happy doing something like soft-links, etc. Ideally if this can be done without taking the vzhosts offline that would be preferred, of course. (presumably if I disable a given host, I would then be able to backup its /vz/private directories with impunity...? but the disruption of service for doing backups is less-than-desirable..)

Many thanks for help with this,

Tim Chipman
Re: Q: Backup Client on Physical Host to pull data from VZhosts ? [message #8716 is a reply to message #8712] Mon, 04 December 2006 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Hi Tim,

There is no problem with access the VE files from the HN, copying /vz/private/VEID/path/to/file to /root, even while the VE is running. As with any server, if you want a 100% bulletproof backup, you will need to stop the software/server and then create a backup of its files so that the applications can definitely commit their data to the disk. However, if your applications do not store much data in memory (the data on disk is enough to get the apps back to a running state), you can safely create a backup of the VE files while the VE is running.

For a backup method, I would check out tar with the incremental option. This does a great job of creating incremental backups and storing them as one file, which you can then move to another server for safety. Using this, you can create a backup of the entire VE, not just specific directories. I feel the file storage overhead is worth it because restoring from the backups is a breeze. Also since the system files won't change often, only your initial tar backup archives them.

Hope this helps.
Rick Blundell

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Q: Backup Client on Physical Host to pull data from VZhosts ? [message #9185 is a reply to message #8712] Thu, 21 December 2006 10:49 Go to previous message
oxyum is currently offline  oxyum

I'm use NetBackup Server 6.0 for OpenVZ backup with simple script.

Script check state of VE and if VE is running copy(rsync) PRIVATE to external directory.
Then script freeze VE using checkpointing and doing second rsync.
Then script restore VE.

After that I'm backup VE dump, VE private and VE configs.
Previous Topic: 2.6.18-028test007.1 crush
Next Topic: Problem while installing template on ALT Linux
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 09 13:19:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02660 seconds