OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » List of supported CPUs
List of supported CPUs [message #8408] Sun, 19 November 2006 16:13 Go to next message
beate is currently offline  beate
Hello everyone,

yesterday i spent several hours installing openvz with the result that it does not seem to run on my machine - a VIA EPIA V10000 running a VIA C3 at 1 GHz.
(As soon as i switched the system, a debian sarge base installation on an XFS file system) extended by Thorsten's debain packages for openvz to one of the ovz-kernels, the system became unstable: the ovz tools could not find their files although the configuration data was correct, even worse, after a "su - another_user" that User's shell could not access anything in its search path.)

I tried to find a list of supported architectures, but instead of finding details i only found a remark on swsoft's page telling me they were trying all CPUs the RedHad kernel was running Sad

So my question: is there such a list anywhere?

More specific: are there any patches underway for the C3/C7?
And related: will OVZ run on AMD K6, P IV Celeron and Pentium M based machines?

Thanks for any help

Beate
Re: List of supported CPUs [message #8411 is a reply to message #8408] Sun, 19 November 2006 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curx

Hi Beate,

>the system became unstable: the ovz tools could not find their
>files although the configuration data was correct, even worse,
>after a "su - another_user" that User's shell could not access
>anything in its search path.)

Can please post which kernel and vzctl/vzquota is useing ?

Any error messages occurs, during installing and booting a OpenVZ kernel, or post more info what's going wrong ...

May you need to build a own kernel with enabled CONFIG_MVIAC3_2, to start a kernel for you "VIA C3" hardware and XFS is not compilied in offical kernel config provided by OpenVZ!
Re: List of supported CPUs [message #8428 is a reply to message #8408] Mon, 20 November 2006 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dim is currently offline  dim
Right now, OpenVZ kernels are known to run on ia32, x86_64, ia64, ppc64 and sparc64 platforms. The main issue, why we don't support broader set is that we haven't such hardware.

If you may give us an access to such node for some days, we'll debug the issues ourselves.

http://static.openvz.org/openvz_userbar_en.gif
Re: List of supported CPUs [message #8487 is a reply to message #8411] Mon, 20 November 2006 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beate is currently offline  beate
First of all,

thanks for the replies.

Mhmm, meanwhile i deleted everything. I was using the latest debian packages for vzctl (which are AFAIK recent), the latest python versions of the tools not available as debain packages, and kernels 2.6.9 as well as 2.6.16.

BTW, the VIA C3 is a ia32 CPU, the C7 as well (different floating point unit, smaller dye)

I might give it another try using ext3 file systems (although i like SGI's file system better) on a fresh installation within the next days.

Different question: are there any guidelines of the specifics needed to extend a working non-virtualizing kernel configuration tuned for a given machine (static, no modules) to include openvz ?
Is there anything in addition to the obvious parameters which has to be considered?
Re: List of supported CPUs [message #8512 is a reply to message #8487] Wed, 22 November 2006 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to:
1) apply openvz patch;
2) add CONFIG_FAIRSCHED, CONFIG_SCHED_VCPU, CONFIG_VE and underlied, CONFIG_USER_RESOURCE and underlied options to your kernel config;
3) check http://wiki.openvz.org/Porting_the_kernel article.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 November 2006 09:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: List of supported CPUs [message #9153 is a reply to message #8428] Wed, 20 December 2006 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quintusopen is currently offline  quintusopen
Can you add support for the CELL processor which is useed in the ps3 please???
Re: List of supported CPUs [message #9159 is a reply to message #9153] Wed, 20 December 2006 08:07 Go to previous message
Could you give us access to node with such processor in order to build, debug and test our kernel?

Previous Topic: wvz panel manage OpenVZ
Next Topic: OpenVZ with webmin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 09:35:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04012 seconds