OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » RHEL/dkms
Re: RHEL/dkms [message #7750 is a reply to message #7739] Tue, 24 October 2006 06:00 Go to previous message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello!

Quote:

That time i gave up and later i tried newer ovzkernel-2.6.9-023stab030.1.src.rpm. I found out there is no megaraid_sas included in that release. I find it quite confusing . RHEL4 has megaraid_sas driver since kernel-2.6.9-34.EL.i686 up to the latest kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.i686 (previous is kernel-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL.i686). So whats the point? Why later version of openvz has no this driver?

ovzkernel-2.6.9-023stab030.1.src.rpm contains sources to build ovzkernel-2.6.9-023stab030.1. And of course sources for megaraid_sas driver are in it! ovzkernel-<flavor>-2.6.9-023stab030.1.<arch>.rpm contains already compiled kernel from sources in vzkernel-2.6.9-023stab030.1.src.rpm. And this binary kernel has megaraid_sas driver compiled in (not as a module!):
CONFIG_MEGARAID_SAS=y

So OpenVZ kernel supports this device.

Quote:

And what about dkms, am i supposed to drop it to use openvz? Did you tried dkms on rhel enterprise openvz kernels?

dkms (btw, not "dell kernel management system", rather "dynamic kernel management system") works for all kernels, including openvz. The problem is that not all drivers are source compatible with particular kernel. Look: for example driver calls kernel function do_fee(arg1, arg2), but particular kernel doesn't have this function or has it with other arguments or their number, for instance: do_fee(arg1, arg2, arg3). It will cause probleme during compilation!
In your particular case driver suppose that some structure has 'unlocked_ioctl' field and 'shutdown' field, but in OpenVZ kernel this structure has no such member.
In such cases you can slighly modify driver sources in order to make it compiled.

HTH,
vass.

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: OpenVZ doesn't start on Debian3.2
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Quota inside vps on outside partition
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 12:30:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02600 seconds