OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » modconf
modconf [message #742] Sun, 08 January 2006 14:41 Go to next message
johan_hammy is currently offline  johan_hammy
I had troubles with setting up Asterisk. While they say there's a bug in their makefile, I'd suspect that the bug wouldn't rear its ugly head if something was different on my VPS.

Here is an IRC log of my quest to have my problems resolved:
<johan_hammy> Can anyone here assist me with a zaptel make install error?
<tzafrir_laptop> johan_hammy, you posted to asterisk-users?
<tzafrir_laptop> note the '[ -f ]' . That is a syntax error, I believe
<johan_hammy> *nods*
<tzafrir_laptop> What version of asterisk?
<johan_hammy> I'm in digest mode (I already get hundreds of e-mails a day), so I wouldn't see any replies for a few hours.
<johan_hammy> 1.2.1
<johan_hammy> I do see a "/bin/sh: -c: line 0: `if [ -n "" ]; then  if [ -f  ]; then mv -f  .bak ; fi;"...  in the previous command executed.
<tzafrir_laptop> johan_hammy, MODCONF is not defined...
<tzafrir_laptop> johan_hammy, what distro do you use?
<johan_hammy> CentOS 4.2 is the host OS, but I'm running OpenVZ for some virtual servers.
<tzafrir_laptop> what kernel version?
<johan_hammy> 2.6.8-022stab050.1
<tzafrir_laptop> do you have ther /etc/modprobe.conf and/or /etc/modprobe.d ?
<tzafrir_laptop> anyway, the workaround is to rem-out the line in the install: target that checks for $(MODCONF) .
<tzafrir_laptop> You don't really need that file.
<johan_hammy> When I locate modprobe, I get /sbin/modprobe.  WHen I check the host OS, I see some other modprobe stuff.
<johan_hammy> okay.  THanks.  Maybe what I'll do is talk to OpenVZ about modprobe, but if they're no help, I'll just comment it out.
<tzafrir_laptop> Simply make sure you run ztcfgsometime  before asterisk is started and after the modules are loaded
<tzafrir_laptop> Anyway, please report a bug in the mantis. It's a buggy part in the makefile
<johan_hammy> Thanks much
<johan_hammy> I've only done a couple Asterisk systems.  THis is my first 1.2.1 build and I decided to go at it on a Virtual Server.  I've had quite a few bumps along the way.
Re: modconf [message #745 is a reply to message #742] Mon, 09 January 2006 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been getting a bunch of errors about modconf, depmod, mod etc. Is there anythign I can do, being as it's integrated with the kernel?
Re: modconf [message #749 is a reply to message #745] Mon, 09 January 2006 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

It looks like you try to do something that involves dealing with kernel modules. This is absolutely impossible from within a VPS (due to security concerns).

If your software needs kernel modules to be loaded, you should load them in a host system, not from within a VPS. Also, in most cases those kernel modules will not work for a VPS (they need to be virtualized for that, which involves coding), but it depends on what are those kernel modules for.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: modconf [message #789 is a reply to message #749] Wed, 11 January 2006 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Device drivers.

I'm setting up Asterisk and the driver for their PCI cards (actually, I don't plan on having any cards, just their dummy interface).
Re: modconf [message #792 is a reply to message #789] Wed, 11 January 2006 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You have to load the driver (kernel module) in host system, not inside a VPS. Next, you can try giving an access to that device to a VPS, using 'vzctl set XXX --devnodes devfile:rw' (see vzctl man page for details).

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: modconf [message #793 is a reply to message #792] Wed, 11 January 2006 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So can (most) any driver be compiled as normal on the host OS and then just use vzctl to pass it through to a particular VPS?

Can it be passed to multiple VPSes or have multiple instances of the driver?
Re: modconf [message #810 is a reply to message #792] Thu, 12 January 2006 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to the host system

[root@OpenVZ zaptel-1.2.1]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/zaptel start
Loading zaptel framework:  FATAL: Error inserting zaptel (/lib/modules/2.6.8-022stab050.1/extra/zaptel.ko): Invalid module format
                                                           [FAILED]
Waiting for zap to come online...Error: missing /dev/zap!

[root@OpenVZ libpri-1.2.1]# modprobe ztdummy
WARNING: Error inserting zaptel (/lib/modules/2.6.8-022stab050.1/extra/zaptel.ko): Invalid module format
WARNING: Error inserting zaptel (/lib/modules/2.6.8-022stab050.1/extra/zaptel.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error inserting ztdummy (/lib/modules/2.6.8-022stab050.1/extra/ztdummy.ko): Invalid module format
FATAL: Error running install command for ztdummy
Re: modconf [message #813 is a reply to message #810] Fri, 13 January 2006 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You probably compiled your kernel module with a different version of gcc than that used to compile the kernel. Check dmesg output for more details.

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: modconf [message #1128 is a reply to message #792] Wed, 01 February 2006 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It does generate a load of 1000 interrupts per second. This means that you always need CPU time. And a timely response of it.

This is coming from someone that doesn't quite understand VPS, but since the driver runs on the host OS, does the resource control from the VPS architecture have any effect on it?
Re: modconf [message #7299 is a reply to message #742] Tue, 10 October 2006 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spyder is currently offline  spyder
Hi, Guys...
I using VZ.. and have some troubles...since last update of kernel the zaptel driver stoped work.

using dmesg I grab the information.. the module is compiled with different version of GCC from used to compile the kernel..

zaptel: version magic '2.6.8-022stab078.21 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.8-022stab078.21 686 gcc-3.3'
zaptel: version magic '2.6.8-022stab078.21 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.8-022stab078.21 686 gcc-3.3'
ztdummy: version magic '2.6.8-022stab078.21 686 gcc-3.4' should be '2.6.8-022stab078.21 686 gcc-3.3'

What is the way to:

1. recompile with the right GCC
2. install the module ?? to use in this kernel ??

Re: modconf [message #7314 is a reply to message #7299] Wed, 11 October 2006 04:49 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev

please ask support to review/include these drivers.
out-of-tree binary drivers ainstalled into the kernel automatically make your kernel unsupported.

Previous Topic: *RESOLVED* veth setup on startup
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Mysql dump error in VPS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 23 06:23:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03256 seconds