OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » network failure when running man ve
network failure when running man ve [message #727] Sat, 07 January 2006 16:22 Go to next message
vmvmvm is currently offline  vmvmvm
Hi,

I'm loving openvz more and more each day! Smile

Last night I made 50 new ve's based on the centos 4.2 default template. I started them all and was running 50 ve's with no load and little swap.

Only 8 of the ve's have actual IP's. The rest are setup without IPs.

This morning (about seven hour later), none of the 8 ve's with IPs would respond to the network (ssh + httpd).

However if I restarted ssh and httpd on each VE they worked fine again.

The load is zero and there is some swap in use but I don't think the server is paging things out.

/proc/user_beancounters only show one overage:

dgramrcvbuf 0 128972 132096 132096 112398

for a ve that runs a caching only nameserver. The nameserver is still working though

Any ideas what might have happened?

The only weird thing I did was :

killall -9 sendmail

from the hardware node to killall the sendmails in the new ve's (sorry sendmail!)

Thanks!

Re: network failure when running man ve [message #729 is a reply to message #727] Sun, 08 January 2006 05:10 Go to previous message
phpfreak is currently offline  phpfreak
Hi,

I've seen something very similar and it was quite odd.

I decided to install Apache on the main host, not a VE. When I restarted the Apache on the main host, it appears to have stopped Apache on all of the VE's.

I guess this is why the tell you not to do this in the manual. They recommend you only install the sshd and nothing else on the main host.

So, if you look in your ps aux output, you'll see all of the processes with the VE's running in there. That means if you run 'killall -9 sendmail' you'll actually kill those processes off in the VEs as well.

We have to adjust to the art of virtualization here and be careful what we do in the "host"!

Good luck!

Previous Topic: Virtuozzo Kernel Error
Next Topic: CentOS Disk space usage (df command) output is empty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 22 04:32:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02367 seconds