OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » License breakdown
Re: License breakdown [message #6827 is a reply to message #6803] Sun, 24 September 2006 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
scythe is currently offline  scythe
dlzinc wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 22:03

- I'm allowed to distribute it with modifications applied, not supply the original source AND charge for it?
Yes, as long as you provide the source along with the binary.

See the "Sveasoft" case. What they're doing is taking GPL code, modifying it, and distributing both binary and source only to people that have paid for it. The main controversy around them is that they're banning people who in turn redistribute their source (which is explicitly permitted by the GPL).

Hi,

I think Sveasoft is charging for the Binary and Support only (As RedHat and most commercial distros), as the source is a fork of GPL software, so it has to be under GPL too (and has to be freely downloadable as GPL). Anyways, they are violating GPL by banning people for redistributing as You pointed. So I think You cannot charge for a GPL software's source, only for the binary, because You invested time in compilation. See also D-Link's case with D-Link DSM-G600 and gpl-violations.org - D-link was recently forced to cease the shipment of it's product, because they didn't release the firmware's source.

Jonathon, I suggest ask a lawyer before selling software based on GPL. You will surely find someone on the Net to help you on this question.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: PlusVZ - my newest project
Next Topic: Control Panel
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 12:53:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05107 seconds