OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out
vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6300] Wed, 13 September 2006 19:25 Go to next message
demark is currently offline  demark
hi there,

maybe someone has hints on this one: i tried to stop one of my VPS using: vzctl stop VPSID

however, i get:

[root@vsrv ~]# vzctl --verbose stop 17
Unable to open /usr/lib/vzctl/modules/: No such file or directory
Stopping VPS ...
Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out

all processes are killed, the veth device is removed, but the vps is still up so i can neither stop nor restart it.

i'm at a loss here ...

thanks,
marc
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6321 is a reply to message #6300] Thu, 14 September 2006 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Can you strace vzctl, please?
strace -f -o strace.out vzctl stop 17
And attach strace.out file here.

Thanks.
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6347 is a reply to message #6300] Thu, 14 September 2006 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good idea, thank you for the hint. here's a strace attached.
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6348 is a reply to message #6347] Thu, 14 September 2006 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, what we can see... While stoping VE:

ret = real_env_stop(h, veid, root, stop_mode);
        for (i = 0; i < MAX_SHTD_TM; i++) {
                sleep(1);
                if (!vps_is_run(h, veid)) {
                        ret = 0;
                        goto out;
                }
        }

real_env_stop() function just invokes "halt" in VE...
Do you have halt in VE? BTW, what template do you use?
You can try to stop VE be specifying --fast option:
vzctl stop <VEID> --fast

then vzctl won't execute halt, it just try to kill VE's init.
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6350 is a reply to message #6348] Thu, 14 September 2006 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,

i used the standard debian 3.1 template, as downloaded from openvz.org; the vps contains "halt".

what happens is that i execute vzctl stop XX, and vzctl timeouts. it does kill most of the processes (just leaving 3 running, other times it kills all of them). for example, vzlist shows:

17 0 running vsrv17

the --fast option didn't help either

Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6351 is a reply to message #6350] Thu, 14 September 2006 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like something bad...
What kernel version, host OS do you use?
Can you provide temporary access to the node in question?

Thanks.
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6352 is a reply to message #6351] Thu, 14 September 2006 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi,

this is CentOS release 4.3 (Final) with kernel 2.6.16-026test017.1-smp (rpm from openvz)
remote access is unfortunately impossible since this is behind a firewall, using internal ips.
i'm using veth

i found something else in "dmesg":

unregister_netdevice: waiting for lo to become free. Usage count = 4267

(lots of those messages, that is)
apparently something in networking causes these hangs. interestingly, when i run network-related commands like "ifconfig" or "ip addr show" in any VPS node AND in the hardware node, it hangs. other commands run just fine.

reminds me of a test kernel some months ago, where the entire system would crash after "vzctl stop" if the veth device wasn't manually shut down and removed before.
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6353 is a reply to message #6352] Thu, 14 September 2006 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems to be bug... Can you fill bug in bugzilla.openvz.org, please.
Kenel version, architecture, dmesg messages, etc..

Thank you very much!
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #6354 is a reply to message #6353] Thu, 14 September 2006 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure, i'll do that!
thanks for your work on this.
Re: vzctl stop failed: Unable to stop VPS, operation timed out [message #43930 is a reply to message #6300] Mon, 31 October 2011 03:25 Go to previous message
cuongvttt is currently offline  cuongvttt
Hello

I think This error is due to backup (with option --suspend) or something locking on this virtual machine
Previous Topic: Enable Quota
Next Topic: vzkernel repos gone?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 02:18:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02827 seconds