OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Run a VE without a template?
Run a VE without a template? [message #5868] Sat, 02 September 2006 23:41 Go to next message
john.robinson is currently offline  john.robinson
OK, I built myself a kernel with ATM support in it (after yesterday's moan). Everything's running nicely, and I have to say this OpenVZ sh*t's really cool! Cool

Now, I have another box, which dual-boots, and more: it's got partitions for fc1, fc5, centos4 and ubuntu on it. Without setting up templates for OpenVZ - which might be a bit of a loss for fc1 anyway but I still have to support an app on it - can I just write a conf file, mount the partitions, and get all my multiple OSes running?

Sorry if this is a really dumb newbie question.

Cheers,

John.
Re: Run a VE without a template? [message #5869 is a reply to message #5868] Sun, 03 September 2006 17:35 Go to previous message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
Conceptually, yes.

But like they say, the devil is in the details. Some of the boot scripts which boot a real system, will cause problems when trying to run them in a VE. And your network probably won't get set up right, because the vz setup scripts make various assumptions.

I made it work with a minimal custom distro, though it required some time to hammer out the details. However, my goal was a little different from yours; I wanted to make a template version of my minimal custom distro, so I could easily reinstall it for testing purposes.

IOW, it can be done. But whether it's worth all the time it takes, or not, depends on your objective.

Previous Topic: Message
Next Topic: ATM support...?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 23:26:52 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04109 seconds