OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » ATM support...?
ATM support...? [message #5824] Fri, 01 September 2006 01:28 Go to next message
john.robinson is currently offline  john.robinson
So I thought I'd dip my toe in the water with OpenVZ, I've fetched the CentOS 4 rpms, installed, reboot, and bang, my machine doesn't start properly. I've had a look, and mysteriously the OpenVZ kernel rpm is a third of the size of the stock RHEL/CentOS 4 one. My problem is probably that I have a USB ADSL modem, and the OpenVZ kernel build doesn't have any of the ATM modules (atm, pppoatm, usb_atm) in it. Any idea why the OpenVZ rpms aren't mostly identical to the RHEL/CentOS rpms, but with OpenVZ added in?

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a go at building a kernel myself (not that I haven't built hundreds in the last 10 years or more, but I kind of expect not to have to these days)...

Also, there doesn't seem to be a separate kernel-devel rpm. Why not?

Cheers,

John.
Re: ATM support...? [message #5830 is a reply to message #5824] Fri, 01 September 2006 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

• What do you mean saying "my machine doesn't start properly"? Logs, screen output are appreciated! =)

• kernel-2.6.9-42.EL.i586.rpm            11M (centos 4.4)
    ovzkernel-2.6.16-026test017.1.i686.rpm 12M (openVZ 2.6.16 series)
    ovzkernel-2.6.8-022stab078.14.i686.rpm 11M (openVZ 2.6.8 series)
    ovzkernel-2.6.9-023stab016.2.i686.rpm  11M (openVZ 2.6.9/RHEL series)
    So I don't get your phrase "the OpenVZ kernel rpm is a third of the size of the stock RHEL/CentOS 4 one"... Please, clarify! =)

• As concerns USB ADSL modem. OpenVZ kernel based on RHEL4 is in fact compiled with ATM config option off. You should recompile it yourself from sources with this option turned on.

• Sources required for building modules are in OpenVZ kernel already. So this package isn't necessary. Do you need it? =)

Re: ATM support...? [message #5839 is a reply to message #5830] Fri, 01 September 2006 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
john.robinson is currently offline  john.robinson
  1. I didn't include logs 'cos I'd already diagnosed the problem (missing ATM support). "Not properly" in this case means startup hung trying to start ppp0.
  2. Sorry, my bad; shouldn't compare the output of `ls` (i.e. packaged size) with the output of `rpm -qi` (i.e. expanded size).
  3. Yes, I will do, but that was rather the point of my post: is there any particular reason the OpenVZ kernel rpms for RHEL4/CentOS4 aren't built as drop-in replacements for the original distribution kernels?
  4. Not necessary, no, but there's no need for the kernel-devel component on non-development machines - specifically, server machines - and that's why CentOS and Fedora bundle the kernel and kernel-devel separately, so in the same vein as before, why doesn't the OpenVZ project bundle things the same?

Cheers, John.
Re: ATM support...? [message #5871 is a reply to message #5839] Mon, 04 September 2006 05:24 Go to previous message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Quote:

...the point of my post: is there any particular reason the OpenVZ kernel rpms for RHEL4/CentOS4 aren't built as drop-in replacements for the original distribution kernels?

We are just not ready to support all the drivers, that rhel4 has. All OpenVZ kernels are tested and only when tests are passed the kernel is released. Some drivers may cause problems in kernel: some tests will not pass...
But of course in the future, OpenVZ considers the possibility to move to rhel4 config. However at the moment you should compile driver yourself, sorry.

Good luck,
vass
Previous Topic: Run a VE without a template?
Next Topic: *SOLVED* mounting nfs-share on debian template
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 23:21:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02299 seconds