OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » AMD PowerNow /CoolQuiet Disabled Intentionally in 686 Stab and RHEL Kernels ?
AMD PowerNow /CoolQuiet Disabled Intentionally in 686 Stab and RHEL Kernels ? [message #5818] Thu, 31 August 2006 13:39 Go to next message
tchipman is currently offline  tchipman
Just wanted to ask, it seems to be the case that the 32-bit X86 precompiled kernels for OVZ (RHEL or STAB versions) have "cool n quiet / powernow" type features disabled

in contrast, the 64-bit stab. kernel appears to have this enabled

Is this something that will be enabled in the future hopefully (hint hint?! Smile or was it left off for a specific reason ?

I have a machine here which I initially setup as 64-bit platform and for which coolNquiet worked well. Then reinstalled box as 32-bit platform for better support with openVz tools (package, template creation etc) but now note that PowerNow/CPUFreq. scaling isn't there / available.

Just a thought / comment.

Many thanks,

--Tim
Re: AMD PowerNow /CoolQuiet Disabled Intentionally in 686 Stab and RHEL Kernels ? [message #5833 is a reply to message #5818] Fri, 01 September 2006 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
"cool n quiet / powernow" features are implemented only on AMD64 (x86_64) platform. x86 (32 bit) kernel are shipped for both AMD and Intel processors, so we can't make this option on, 'cause this feature will not work on Intel CPUs.

Besides, I don't know does it work when kernel runs on AMD64 in 32-mode... Rolling Eyes

HTH!
Re: AMD PowerNow /CoolQuiet Disabled Intentionally in 686 Stab and RHEL Kernels ? [message #5863 is a reply to message #5818] Sat, 02 September 2006 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

Tim, do you know the exact kernel config options to turn this functionality ON?
is it CONFIG_CPUFREQ_XXX or something else?

I personally thought that this is used for notebooks mostly, but if not only for them...

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: AMD PowerNow /CoolQuiet Disabled Intentionally in 686 Stab and RHEL Kernels ? [message #5864 is a reply to message #5863] Sat, 02 September 2006 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
CONFIG_PM
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ
and driver for appropriate CPU type...

By the way, Tim, in x86_64 configs for OpenVZ kernel (like in x86)
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ is disabled too.

Re: AMD PowerNow /CoolQuiet Disabled Intentionally in 686 Stab and RHEL Kernels ? [message #5955 is a reply to message #5818] Wed, 06 September 2006 00:46 Go to previous message
tchipman is currently offline  tchipman
Hi,

sorry for the lack of clarity in my initial post. My machine in question is AMD Athlon "X2" (dual-core 2000mhz) which supports 64bit operation.

I guess I'm not 100% positive which kernel features must be enabled. I can refer you to the EXCELLENT url,

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_PowerNow!

which details how to check what kernel features are needed, how to check if PowerNow! is available, etc. So - maybe this is of some help.

Only reason this is "of use" (IMHO) in a server: It allows the machine to operate at lower-wattage/lower mhz settings when the workload is appropriate. Thus power used / heat generated are better.. always a nice thing in a server IMHO Smile

Hope this helps clarify my posting somewhat.

Thanks,

--Tim
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* dm-multipath support
Next Topic: vzyum error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 21 23:16:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02384 seconds