OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Cpanel install problems
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5813 is a reply to message #5807] Thu, 31 August 2006 10:23 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev

your posts are like a stories :@)

Quote:

I do have one completely openvz-related question: Is it possible to estimate at what point openvz will start to swap? I have already been warned about over-generous allocations by a certain other host (cough)..but didn't believe it...and went on to give the server a heck of a lot of work..and it wouldn't swap. No sir..even with almost 600,000 privvmpages in use (held) by vps's. We're not talking high-end hardware either..just a P4 2.8HZ..1GB RAM..120Gb HD..as I said...I have been really impressed!

There is no answer to your question, really. Because, it depends on load pattern and memory usage. The good thing with OpenVZ is that kernel effeciently can unswap really rarely used pages (unlike VMMs), so from performance point of view it can behave much better, just like a standalone Linux server.

But some concerns I can still provide to you. First, there is a tool vzmemcheck which will inform you on how much your node is overcommited and how much memory is used now (summary of physpages from /proc/user_beancounters). My advise is to keep summary of oomguarpages (which is physpages + used-swap) to be < 1/2 - 2/3 of your RAM. This will allow kernel to use caches effeciently and thus will provide a good performance. This is due to the fact that when caches are not working (e.g. node is overloaded) then performance starts to degrade rapidly.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2006 10:24]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* multiple filesystems in one VE