OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Upgrading OpenVZ Kernel - Possible ?
Upgrading OpenVZ Kernel - Possible ? [message #5680] Sat, 26 August 2006 15:29 Go to next message
openvznewbie999 is currently offline  openvznewbie999
We run various different versions of the OpenVZ kernel on our nodes, for example, 2.6.8-022stab078.10 on one and 2.6.8-022stab078.14 on one of our newest ones.

This may be a very stupid question. But is it possible to upgrade the kernels to the latest version of 2.6.8-026test017.1 ? To keep up to date with all the fixes and bugs etc ? If so, how ?

Thank you
Re: Upgrading OpenVZ Kernel - Possible ? [message #5682 is a reply to message #5680] Sat, 26 August 2006 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
Yes it can be done. I run the -test kernel. But as for how, that's not so easy to answer. Many things can go wrong, depending on your distro and other operational factors.

If you're not experienced with kernel upgrades, or unprepared to diagnose the potential problems, it's safer to stay with -stab. The developers keep the -stab series up to date with security fixes.

Re: Upgrading OpenVZ Kernel - Possible ? [message #5683 is a reply to message #5682] Sat, 26 August 2006 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
openvznewbie999 is currently offline  openvznewbie999
Yes we would only want to upgrade to the latest stab kernel available. Is it fairly easy to do ?
Re: Upgrading OpenVZ Kernel - Possible ? [message #5700 is a reply to message #5683] Mon, 28 August 2006 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
It is easy. Just install rpm with new OpenVZ kernel:
# rpm -ivh /ovzkernel-2.6.16-026test017.1.i686.rpm

And reboot in it =)
Usually there is no problem with such upgrading.
If however you have a problem - just reboot in previous kernel! =)

HTH!
Re: Upgrading OpenVZ Kernel - Possible ? [message #5783 is a reply to message #5683] Wed, 30 August 2006 16:24 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
You don't really have to "upgrade" the kernel... as you can have multiple OpenVZ kernels installed. Just install the kernel(s) you want and then edit your grub.conf to set the default kernel.

If you install the testing kernel, and want to install a newer stable kernel, you'll have to issue (if memory serves) the --force flag to rpm... as it gripes that you are trying to install an older version of the kernel than is already installed.

I usually keep the distro stock kernel, the latest stable openvz kernel, and the latest testing openvz kernel on my machines... and running openvz testing. I have noticed that if you want to use the migration features (and maybe other features only available in the testing kernels), you need to have the same kernels running on both ends... or at least that has been my experience.

As long as you don't remove the previous kernel... if you have a problem with a newer one, you can always revert back.

Since I also keep up with the latest stock kernel as released by the distro running on the physical host (CentOS), I do have to edit the grub.conf after every kernel install to make sure the desired OpenVZ kernel is default. If you forget, you might not be too happy upon next power recycle.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Previous Topic: virt_osrelease
Next Topic: CentOS 4.4: host and VPS upgrade [no problems]
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 09:52:23 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02872 seconds