OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Why OpenVZ 7 container has different kernel comparing with hardware node?
icon5.gif  Why OpenVZ 7 container has different kernel comparing with hardware node? [message #52798] Sat, 01 April 2017 03:44 Go to next message
learndiary is currently offline  learndiary
These days I have tested the new openvz 7 server.

I found the hardware node kernel version is: 3.10.0-327.36.1.vz7.18.8 (uname -r)
And I created a debian 8 container, its kernel version is: 3.16.0 (uname -r)

I have not found any kernel 3.16.0 image or modules existing in openvz 7 hardware node and debian 8 container.

I read the openvz wiki, it said: "The architecture of OpenVZ is different from the traditional virtual machines architecture because it always runs the same OS kernel as the host system (while still allowing multiple Linux distributions in individual containers)." ( https://openvz.org/Features )

Why the thing has been changed? And where is the kernel 3.16.0 files in hardware node or container? And, what is the technology behind the thing?

I have searched on google many times and not found any clue. Thanks.
Re: Why OpenVZ 7 container has different kernel comparing with hardware node? [message #52801 is a reply to message #52798] Mon, 03 April 2017 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Virtuozzo is able to show different kernel version inside a Container,
this feature was implemented because some distribs require some minimal kernel version and fail to work if reported kernel version is less than expected.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Why OpenVZ 7 container has different kernel comparing with hardware node? [message #52802 is a reply to message #52801] Wed, 05 April 2017 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks.

There isn't real different kernel in the CT container, the reporting kernel version in a CT container is just used to cheat the distrib running in the OpenVZ 7 container. Isn't it?
Re: Why OpenVZ 7 container has different kernel comparing with hardware node? [message #52803 is a reply to message #52802] Wed, 05 April 2017 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Right.

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...
Re: Why OpenVZ 7 container has different kernel comparing with hardware node?[Resolved] [message #52804 is a reply to message #52798] Wed, 05 April 2017 07:42 Go to previous message
Thanks.
I known.
Marked this topic as resolved.
Previous Topic: Exclude paths from vzdump with ploop container
Next Topic: filefrag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jun 26 14:07:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03130 seconds