OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Ubuntu 16.04 kernel versions
Ubuntu 16.04 kernel versions [message #52393] Tue, 26 April 2016 04:55 Go to next message
Mike_A is currently offline  Mike_A
Hi guys,

Recently I tried out the community created Ubuntu 16.04 template to check out changes and whatnot (I don't use Ubuntu much myself, mainly CentOS), I have multiple systems all running CentOS 6.7 and OpenVZ. These run different kernel versions as I haven't rebooted and don't have KernelCare at the moment.

I created a clone of the Ubuntu 16.04 template (via SolusVM) with SSH installed since it didn't come with it already, but the cloned template only works with the specific host node kernel version that it was created on. E.g., if the template is used on a different host node with a newer or older kernel than the one it was created on, it won't startup properly (no errors in dmesg/vzctl). This doesn't happen with the stock template from the templates page, but without SSH installed it'll become a hassle, which is why I made a copy with it installed (no other changes made).

Am I missing something obvious here? Or is there something I need to delete first? I've never experienced this problem with creating OpenVZ templates from current containers, so apologies if I did miss skip a step.

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu 16.04 kernel versions [message #52465 is a reply to message #52393] Tue, 12 July 2016 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
When you say you used the contributed Ubuntu 1604 OS Template, are you talking about this one?

https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/ubun tu-1604-amd64.tar.xz

I think I'm the one that threw that together on Ubuntu 16.04 release day... and the later OpenVZ came out with an official one. I recommend you use the official one, especially since it is working. I only tested it a little bit on the day I made it and uploaded it and haven't really used it since... but it should work.

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean exactly? It doesn't get an IP address? It won't start?

Since the first container you made with the OS Template was on a different host than I created it on, that proves it does work on a host it wasn't created on. What SolusVM does after than and how they clone it... is something you might want to contact their support about... although I doubt they are much interested in supporting every contributed OS Template out there. Can you create as many new containers with the OS Template as you like... and they work... and only clones are broken?

I'll see if I can find some time to update the OS Template and perhaps post the build recipe I used.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Re: Ubuntu 16.04 kernel versions [message #52466 is a reply to message #52465] Tue, 12 July 2016 17:56 Go to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
Trying out the OS Template now ( https://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/ubun tu-1604-amd64.tar.xz) vzctl on the host node doesn't appear to properly set the DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf inside of the container at container start. This appears to be a result of having the resolvconf package installed inside of the Ubuntu 16.04 container that uses a higher level method than just adding "nameserver n.n.n.n" entries in the /etc/resolv.conf.

As you mentioned, the OS Template does not have openssh-server installed. I' more familiar with Red Hat / Fedora and their openssh-server configs automatically generate the server keys if they don't exist. Ubuntu doesn't do this... and I'm not sure about the best way of going about it on the newer systemd-based Ubuntu.. as this ( https://wiki.openvz.org/Ubuntu_Hardy_template_creation#Fix_S SH_host_keys) doesn't seem correct for 16.04.

I'm removing my contributed Ubuntu 16.04 OS Template as it really isn't needed... since as you mentioned, there was an official OS Template released shortly thereafter.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA
Previous Topic: Undelete files in openvz container
Next Topic: Add an private IP address into a CT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 13 23:31:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05838 seconds