OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 (why can't i login?)
icon4.gif  cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52260] Mon, 16 November 2015 18:28 Go to next message
ura_Soul is currently offline  ura_Soul
i have been configuring a new installation of Fedora 22 on a remote host that i have used for a long while. my existing server is Fedora 20 and i am attempting to upgrade to fedora 22 (on a new server instance).
when i login to the server via putty and install the XFCE desktop environment and x2goserver, all is well - until i reboot the server. once the server has been rebooted i am totally unable to log back in to the server using putty or x2go. i noticed that FirewallD is installed along with XFCE, though i don't know why that is exactly. i did put many hours of research and testing into looking at how i might be being locked out - such as configuring and disabling firewallD and IPTABLES - yet so far i haven't found an answer as to what is occurring.
i have now used the last 3 versions of the fedora 22 openVZ template and they have all yielded the same results.

anyone know?

thanks
Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52267 is a reply to message #52260] Thu, 26 November 2015 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm still stuck with this. the only info i have to add is that when i enable the firewallD service after installing a desktop UI such as mate or XFCE, i see this:

error: ebtables not usable, disabling ethernet bridge

i have read several threads on this error from various contexts, but so far no info has been forthcoming that i have been able to use to resolve my issues with fedora 22.

anyone got any thoughts?
Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52305 is a reply to message #52267] Mon, 25 January 2016 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so i am informed that this may be an issue originating in the fact that the version of openVZ being used by the host i am with is only supporting older kernel versions and there is an incompatibility between newer OSs, firewallD and these older kernels.
since i don't actually run openVZ myself, i am ignorant of some of the details, but from my research it appears that i am unable to use X2go server/client to remotely connect to ALL recent OS versions that i have tested, probably due to this incompatibility between kernel versions, the OS and openVZ.
this answer provided to me on the askfedora site, suggests that openVZ is running an old kernel:

Quote:
The short answer to this is that OpenVZ does not support many systemd operating systems.

The longer explanation to this is because OpenVZ allows your host to set up "containerized" VPS's for clients. All of the individual containers are dependent on the OpenVZ software. However, OpenVZ is running a version of the kernel around 2.6.x if I recall correctly. Because of this, OpenVZ has to backport many of the systemd features into sysvinit, which is... very messy.

There is no immediate solution to using firewalld in a OpenVZ machine. The same problem exists for CentOS 7. You can see more information in this thread that has a workaround solution that may work for you (it used to work for me, but it doesn't anymore).

For now, you will be better off using KVM or using an older version of Fedora with OpenVZ (and by old, I mean really old, for Fedora).

is that correct? if so, when will this be resolved? surely i am missing something here, right?
Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52307 is a reply to message #52260] Wed, 27 January 2016 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Let me get this straight:
- you can start a Fedora 22 VM without issues
- until you install XFCE and x2goserver, your VM works properly, you can reboot it etc.
- after you install XFCE and x2goserver, you lose outside connectivity on the very next reboot (but not before).

Is this correct?

So, a couple of questions:
- what is your node vzkernel version (just run 'uname -a' within your VM)?
- what new services are set to run after you install XFCE and x2goserver that are not running before?
- after it becomes unreachable, can your VM be entered by using vzctl from the node?
Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52308 is a reply to message #52307] Wed, 27 January 2016 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for responding here. i can start a fedora 22 or fedora 23 VM without issues, yes.
and yes, until i install X2goserver (which installs firewallD) i can reboot and login again without problem, yes.
your understanding is accurate.

after running uname -a, i see the version is:

2.6.32-042stab113.11

Quote:
what new services are set to run after you install XFCE and x2goserver that are not running before?

the only packages and services that are installed and thus set to run after i install XFCE are those added by installing XFCE, which is a LONG list.. too many to easily type out here. Network manager is in there and firewall-config, lots of libraries and many other packages i don't know much about.

i did just run a test of installing firewallD before i installed XFCE and i could reboot and login ok, so it is not just firewallD / ebtables on their own that are causal here. the problem occurs whether or not i install x2goserver.

Quote:
after it becomes unreachable, can your VM be entered by using vzctl from the node?

i do not have access to the node as i am a user of a webserver that is run by a third party, so i am not able to directly answer your question here. i can access the server via the 'emergency console' access that is provided by the host's control panel, so the VM is not totally unreachable - if that is what you are wanting to know.

Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52309 is a reply to message #52308] Thu, 28 January 2016 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
Your provider is running the current stable vzkernel, which is a good sign. Also, from what you've said, it seems that your container reboots even after XFCE is installed, but it looses the connectivity to the outside world. In other words, looks like a configuration issue that arises from the newly installed packages.

The existence of the emergency console simplify things quite a bit. I'd start by comparing the firewall and networking configuration, before and after. I can't be more specific than that, sorry. This situation requires troubleshooting.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 January 2016 23:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52310 is a reply to message #52309] Fri, 29 January 2016 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, yes - i agree. i have already compared some of the firewall and networking files and did not see anything obviously wrong after xfce was installed. however, i am not an expert in linux / fedora firewall/networking configurations and very likely did not check every file that i need to.
do you know of a link to a list of files that would be relevant for me to check here?
thanks
Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52341 is a reply to message #52310] Mon, 29 February 2016 18:48 Go to previous message
i have now fixed this by following the advice in this video: http://openvz.livejournal.com/50063.html?mode=reply
when i disabled network manager in the server installation, i was then able to login via putty or x2go after a reboot.
i think this should be a sticky of some kind!
Previous Topic: Debian 6 = vzquota + insserv errors
Next Topic: Virt-manager
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 23:32:39 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02351 seconds