OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Is my VPS provider being negligent in not upgrading the kernel?
Is my VPS provider being negligent in not upgrading the kernel? [message #52273] Thu, 03 December 2015 02:51 Go to next message
capsusfive is currently offline  capsusfive
Hi

I have a VPS provider with whom I have a number of servers. One of them in particular is running 2.6.32-042stab090.5. This is from mid-2014 and is very old.

I know there have been a ton of releases between now and then, but I'm very ignorant of OpenVZ in particular, so I don't want to come to the wrong conclusion.

Is my VPS provider being negligent in not upgrading their boxes?

Also, while I'm at it, I usually use Debian and this provider has been nothing but trouble. They didn't even load the Debian 8 template until some time in the last 30 days (six months after release). I am also under the impression that this kernel won't even support Debian 8 because of OVZ bug 6384.

Any other opinions or feedback on this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Is my VPS provider being negligent in not upgrading the kernel? [message #52278 is a reply to message #52273] Tue, 08 December 2015 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
I would say yes.

I think there have been several critical security updates since then. The worst is one where someone is theoretically able to jailbreak out of their container and get root access to the physical server and/or access to other containers. Pretty sure that fix is in a newer kernel than what your provider is running.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 December 2015 20:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is my VPS provider being negligent in not upgrading the kernel? [message #52283 is a reply to message #52278] Mon, 21 December 2015 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capsusfive is currently offline  capsusfive
Thanks for the confirmation.

I hate to name names, but the provider is VPSDime. They have been good in the past, but in the last eight months, they have not been updating systems and they have stopped supporting new distributions. The last time I checked, their images for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and SuSe were all old versions. In some cases, really old.

Its sad, because their services have been stable and customer support was good. I just don't think they have an engineer keeping their stuff up to date anymore though.

I don't know what gives. Time to find a new provider.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 December 2015 08:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Is my VPS provider being negligent in not upgrading the kernel? [message #52287 is a reply to message #52283] Sat, 26 December 2015 06:38 Go to previous message
serverian is currently offline  serverian
capsusfive wrote on Mon, 21 December 2015 08:12
Thanks for the confirmation.

I hate to name names, but the provider is VPSDime. They have been good in the past, but in the last eight months, they have not been updating systems and they have stopped supporting new distributions. The last time I checked, their images for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and SuSe were all old versions. In some cases, really old.

Its sad, because their services have been stable and customer support was good. I just don't think they have an engineer keeping their stuff up to date anymore though.

I don't know what gives. Time to find a new provider.

We use KernelCare to update your kernels without a reboot. That's why you are not able to see the real kernel version with the uname -a command.

We fully support Debian 8. We make our own templates, we don't use prebuilt templates with lots of broken features, configs. That's why it may take longer for us to provide the new templates to our customers.

Our templates are recently (around 2 weeks ago) updated.

It'd be better to contact us first to get an accurate and fast reply.

Oktay
Previous Topic: 2nd lv Quota is not running within VM(Cpanel)
Next Topic: backup rsync /vz/root
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 14:20:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03952 seconds