OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Debian - Openvz is not reading from /vz partition (New to Linux/OpenVz need some help)
Debian - Openvz is not reading from /vz partition [message #51940] Wed, 25 March 2015 04:25 Go to next message
darkestred is currently offline  darkestred
Hello. I have openvz running on Debian. I believe i followed all the steps, minus creating a /vz partition right off the bat. I did add this after i installed the modified vz kernel.

My issue is when i go to vzctl create ctid --ostemplate --osname (of course im filling those in). I get an error saying:

Cached OS template /var/lib/vz/template/cache/debian7.tar[.gz|.bz2|.xz] not found

I tried linking this to my /vz directory but did not work. I have:

root@Debian:~# ls /vz/template/cache
      debian-7.0-x86_64.tar.gz vz

I am a bit clueless.

I also find myself having to add directories to my /vz partition. I don't think this is how its intended to be but again i apologize for being new.

Re: Debian - Openvz is not reading from /vz partition [message #51941 is a reply to message #51940] Wed, 25 March 2015 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
      curx

Hi,

for Debian based distro the vz directory is located at /var/lib/vz - for compability to (CentOS) OpenVZ use a symbolic link, like:

% ln -s /var/lib/vz /vz

alternative: (if setup a big /vz partition)

copy/move dirs/files from /var/lib/vz to your /vz partion, cleanup /var/lib/vz and mount your partion to /var/lib/vz

Bye,
      Thorsten
      Re: Debian - Openvz is not reading from /vz partition [message #51942 is a reply to message #51940] Wed, 25 March 2015 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
      Ales is currently offline  Ales
      Looking at:

Cached OS template /var/lib/vz/template/cache/debian7.tar[.gz|.bz2|.xz] not found

and the template name you have:

debian-7.0-x86_64.tar.gz

tells me that you're using wrong command switches. In other words, you've made a typo when specifying what template to use, note the difference in names.

Also:

root@Debian:~# ls /vz/template/cache
      debian-7.0-x86_64.tar.gz vz

the 'vz' part at the end tells me that you've probably once made some error when linking the directories, but that's probably not affecting anything. Your vztl is looking for templates in /var/lib/vz/template/cache anyway.
      Re: Debian - Openvz is not reading from /vz partition [message #51943 is a reply to message #51942] Wed, 25 March 2015 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
      I cannot recall but i might have made a vz directory by mistake in the /cache folder. I will mess around with this when i get home.

Thank you for the replies and help.
      Re: Debian - Openvz is not reading from /vz partition [message #51944 is a reply to message #51941] Wed, 25 March 2015 20:45 Go to previous message
      curx wrote on Wed, 25 March 2015 04:43
      Hi,

for Debian based distro the vz directory is located at /var/lib/vz - for compability to (CentOS) OpenVZ use a symbolic link, like:

% ln -s /var/lib/vz /vz

alternative: (if setup a big /vz partition)

copy/move dirs/files from /var/lib/vz to your /vz partion, cleanup /var/lib/vz and mount your partion to /var/lib/vz

Bye,
      Thorsten

@Ales thank you. I didn't even think about that since linux is looking in my /var file and i'm trying to follow the guide (which is grey area) to have openvz read from /vz. Is linking the only way to get this to work or was this line perhaps cut and pasted from another distro? or do i have to do what curx suggested?

[Updated on: Thu, 26 March 2015 02:00]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Openvz Ploop showing 100%
      Next Topic: OpenVZ veth and few ips in CT
      Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 24 22:35:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03220 seconds