OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » VE lo cal time
Re: VE lo cal time [message #5128 is a reply to message #4878] Mon, 14 August 2006 12:29 Go to previous message
devotional is currently offline  devotional
Thanks for the pointer...I managed to locate a patch made by Jeff Dike at http://lwn.net/Articles/179825/

The patch was not completely compatible with 2.6.16-026test015.2 but no big issues. However, the solution was not complete as it only worked for the gettimeofday syscall and not for time or clock_gettime. I have added code to handle those cases and are in the middle of testing this solution.

If anyone is interested in these patches, drop me a PM and I'll make it available. If our own tests works out, we will probably keep the patches up-to-date for our own system.

I have to argue that this should be a very useful feature in a virtualization environment that aims at providing multiple isolated test environments. The solution doesn't seem to be that complicated compared to the benefits - although it could be a hairy thing to try and solve things like "what should happen when the base system clock is changed?" and how to handle timers etc. But having a solution where a VE could be given an offet at start time and then not modifiable after that would be useful enough for most test scenarios.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Ability to use VE as firewall? Recommended security pattern?
Next Topic: Modprobe Qemu accelerator module?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 16:18:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02825 seconds