OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Installing OpenVZ on Debian?
Installing OpenVZ on Debian? [message #5097] Fri, 11 August 2006 12:46 Go to next message
Daniel15 is currently offline  Daniel15
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to install OpenVZ on Debian, but I'm running into some problems.

Firstly, I tried the packages at 'debian.systs.org' but that didn't work. The kernel installed fine, but when I tried to boot, it couldn't mount my root partition (I'm assuming this is because I'm using LVM, which I don't think was compiled into that kernel).

Having failed that, I thought I should compile the kernel myself. I installed the 'kernel-patch-openvz' package, and followed all steps as shown on the Installation on Debian page in the Wiki. However, once I got to the final step, it wouldn't compile. This is the output I got:
server1:/usr/src/linux-2.6.16# cp kernel-2.6.16-026test015-i686.config.ovz .config
server1:/usr/src/linux-2.6.16# make-kpkg --added_patches openvz
exec make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/ruleset/minimal.mk debian KPKG_SELECTED_PATCHES="openvz"
====== making target minimal_debian [new prereqs: ]======
This is kernel package version .
test -d debian || mkdir debian
test ! -e stamp-building || rm -f stamp-building
test -f debian/control || sed         -e 's/=V/2.6.16/g'        \
                -e 's/=D/2.6.16-10.00.Custom/g'         -e 's/=A/i386/g'  \
                -e 's/=SA//g'   -e 's/=L/ /g' \
                -e 's/=I//g'                                    \
                -e 's/=CV/2.6/g'                       \
                -e 's/=M/Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer <unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf>/g'                        \
                -e 's/=ST/linux/g'      -e 's/=B/i386/g'    \
                         /usr/share/kernel-package/Control > debian/control
test -f debian/changelog ||  sed -e 's/=V/2.6.16/g'             \
            -e 's/=D/2.6.16-10.00.Custom/g'        -e 's/=A/i386/g'       \
            -e 's/=ST/linux/g'     -e 's/=B/i386/g'         \
            -e 's/=M/Unknown Kernel Package Maintainer <unknown@unconfigured.in.etc.kernel-pkg.conf>/g'                             \
             /usr/share/kernel-package/changelog > debian/changelog
install -p -m 755 /usr/share/kernel-package/rules debian/rules
for file in ChangeLog  Control  Control.bin86 config templates.in rules; do                                      \
            cp -f  /usr/share/kernel-package/$file ./debian/;                               \
        done
for dir  in Config docs examples ruleset scripts pkg po;  do                                      \
          cp -af /usr/share/kernel-package/$dir  ./debian/;                                 \
        done
test -d ./debian/stamps || mkdir debian/stamps
exec debian/rules  KPKG_SELECTED_PATCHES="openvz"
nothing to be done.

I followed all the steps as shown on the Wiki page (with the exception of getting the standard i686 config file, rather than the SMP one). What am I doing wrong?
Re: Installing OpenVZ on Debian? [message #5106 is a reply to message #5097] Fri, 11 August 2006 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel15 is currently offline  Daniel15
Heh, I suppose it doesn't matter anymore. I reformatted, and this time, didn't bother using LVM (Just a normal partitioning scheme, with the root [/] partition on the first, 8 GB hard drive, and the /home and /var partitions on the second hard drive, a 10 GB drive. The reason I used LVM was to utilize both hard drive, but I like the way I'm doing it now, it's a lot simpler to manage Wink)

Anyways, I'll try the precompiled package, and tell you how I go Smile

EDIT: OK, that didn't work. I installed the package, but it didn't like my network card (a Realtek RTL8139-based card)

I tried compiling, with the same result... What should I do?

[Updated on: Fri, 11 August 2006 14:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Installing OpenVZ on Debian? [message #5119 is a reply to message #5097] Sun, 13 August 2006 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hvdkamer is currently offline  hvdkamer
I think there is something missing in the Wiki. Probably the author had already done the export of the following parameter and has forgotten about is? This is how I did it (nowadays I add some extra things to the kernel package):

compile:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8# cp -a ../configs/kernel-2.6.8-022stab077-i686.config.ovz .config
compile:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8# export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES
compile:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.8# make-kpkg --added-patches openvz --append-to-version -openvz-k7 --revision HK.1 --config oldconfig --initrd kernel_image

I've multiple configs, but I think that the main reason is the export command. Without it, nothing is patched Smile

Henk van de Kamer
auteur Het Lab
http://www.hetlab.tk/
Re: Installing OpenVZ on Debian? [message #5122 is a reply to message #5097] Mon, 14 August 2006 01:42 Go to previous message
curx

Hi,

@Daniel15:

The kernel-images from debian.systs.org are using the kernel-configs from openvz.org.

The configs are stored in the kernel-source under ./configs
e.g. -smp ones

Which kind of network card do you use, the driver of 8139 is build as a kernel module.

CONFIG_8139CP=m
CONFIG_8139TOO=m
CONFIG_8139TOO_PIO=y
CONFIG_8139TOO_8129=y

So can you you explain, whats going wrong ?

Regards,
Thorsten
--
tsd@debian.systs.org

[Updated on: Mon, 14 August 2006 01:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for /proc/1
Next Topic: Unknown symbols in vzdquota?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 24 21:21:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03720 seconds