OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » LVM checksum problem after yum update from CentOS 5.9 to CentOS 5.10 (w/o vzkernel update)
LVM checksum problem after yum update from CentOS 5.9 to CentOS 5.10 (w/o vzkernel update) [message #51092] Thu, 30 January 2014 20:52
ccto is currently offline  ccto
Hello OpenVZ support,

In one server, it is running CentOS 5.9 with vz kernel 2.6.18-348.16.1.el5.028stab108.1

It contains mdadm RAID-1 arrays (consist of 3 HDD to form RAID-1) -
/dev/md0 = /boot (mdadm = sda1 + sdb1 + sdc1)
/dev/md1 = LVM (PV + VolGroup + LogVols for / , /tmp , /vz , swap) (mdadm = sda2 + sdb2 + sdc2)

A few days ago, I found you have released the updated CentOS 5 template (which is 5.10)

Then, I guess the vzkernel shall run fine in CentOS 5.10 host and guest level.

So, I run "yum update" to update the server from 5.9 to 5.10
(but the vz kernel the same, no update required in yum)

The yum runs successfully without error.

Then, I reboot the server, everything seems fine.

However, a few hours later, it tries to create LVM snapshot for scheduled backup. It fails to create the LVM snapshot, and raise the error -
/dev/md1: Checksum error

Then, I tried to look, the LVM PV mounts on /dev/sdc2 , not /dev/md1
and pvdisplay shows something like -
checksum error
use /dev/sdc2, and found the same/duplicated UUID on /dev/md1 

---

Then, I power off the server, unmount /dev/sdc , and add a new HDD, boot into CentOS Setup rescue mode, run fsck.ext4 (foruntately it has no problem), and run mdadm raid recovery with the new HDD

Then, reboot, and goto CentOS setup rescue mode, it can automatically mount /mnt/sysimage , I chroot, and run mkinitrd to rebuild the /boot/initrd-xxxx.img

Then, reboot the server normally, it seems it can run again as usual (of course raid is in recovery process).

---

in RHEL 5.10 release notes, it mentions updated LVM and duplicated UUID in BZ#863112

ref.: https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_E nterprise_Linux/5/html-single/5.10_Technical_Notes/index.htm l

I am not sure it cause it or not, but it do happen after I upgrade the server within 8 hours

I suspect that when I run the yum update (without vzkernel update), it does not run mkinitrd automatically to include/build latest lvm library/configuration during boot, and cause the problem.

May you please kindly have a look/advise.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Regards
George
Previous Topic: Problem starting a copied container
Next Topic: Recommendations for setting overcommit_memory
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 20:12:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02271 seconds