OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Killed screen/tmux sessions and terminated SSH
icon9.gif  Killed screen/tmux sessions and terminated SSH [message #51059] Tue, 14 January 2014 09:34 Go to next message
hurz is currently offline  hurz
Hi,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm out of other options: I've got a vServer at some hoster that is running Ubuntu 10.04 inside a Virtuozzo/openVZ container. The setup is running quite fine and there are no complaints except one: My screen and tmux sessions are being killed sporadically without me being even connected.

A brief description would be:

1. I start screen or tmux session and start some programs in it
2. I detach from the session (not closing it) so it should run until I close it
3. I try to connect to it say one week later and all sessions (screen as well as tmux) are gone and the corresponding running programs as well. Usually there are not too many programs, i.e. an IRC client and an instant messenger and that's it.

I was able to pinpoint the exact time when this happens using a little script that prints the current time to a file. Unfortunately at the problem time there are exactly zero entries in any logs and other daemons and services like apache seem completely unaffected by this.

Now, yesterday the same thing occured and I happend to be connected via SSH to my server. Exactly in the second the screen session went away, my SSH connection was also killed and the terminal it was started in turned unusable subsequently (it would only emit garbage characters when pressing keys)

I fuzzily suspect, there is something strange going on either in the hardware or in the software of the Virtuozzo host system of my vserver. I.e. a bogus (probably software) network interface coughs up some strange characters that none of my 'clients' are able to handle. As I have no experience with virtualization, I'm unsure if something like this can really happen but it seems at least remotely possible.

Unfortunately my hoster is very uncooperative. They claim my connection is faulty and stuff like this, although I'm not even connected when the problem occurs...
If anyone has some hints or insight, I'd greatly appreciate it. If this is the wrong place to ask, please point me to a more appropriate forum or list.

Thanks a lot!
Re: Killed screen/tmux sessions and terminated SSH [message #51067 is a reply to message #51059] Wed, 15 January 2014 19:21 Go to previous message
Paparaciz
As I understand you don't have control of HN.

please report kernel version.
as I understand in CT running ubuntu 10.04
show output of /proc/user_beancounters
Previous Topic: SLIP module
Next Topic: incorrect size of root.hdd
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 16:36:26 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04951 seconds