OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » I tar balled a root to backup my VPS but when restored things didn't work.. (I tar balled a root to backup my VPS but when restored things didn't work..)
I tar balled a root to backup my VPS but when restored things didn't work.. [message #50974] Mon, 16 December 2013 01:44 Go to next message
sms2002 is currently offline  sms2002

Hi everyone,

I tar balled the root of my VPS in digitalOcean (which use KVM) to but when I restored the tar ball to another server which runs under openvz, the server started giving error messages about errors in the init file and init refused to let me reboot after restoration of the tar ball. so i just went to openvz panel and clicked the reboot button there, then the server rebooted but i couldn't use ssh to connect giving me fatal error message but the panel says that the system is running but pardon me i didn't check wether the site was running to confirm that the nginx started or not but probably it did but i couldn't connect to the server by ssh..

Please help.. how can i backup my VPS correctly with a running system.. i did try restoring the same way twice with the 2nd time closing the server and php servers and database but still same issues..

thanks in advance!
Re: I tar balled a root to backup my VPS but when restored things didn't work.. [message #50978 is a reply to message #50974] Mon, 16 December 2013 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
KVM behaves pretty much as a regular server, so for starters, please look into:
http://openvz.org/Physical_to_container

That being said, you might consider migrating just parts of your old VPS, basically just your data, not the OS itself.
Re: I tar balled a root to backup my VPS but when restored things didn't work.. [message #50999 is a reply to message #50978] Thu, 19 December 2013 16:18 Go to previous message
grep is currently offline  grep
I make always:
install on container the same server OS (as example debian) and then copy the full server backup over it.

I saw sometimes that server migrations arent successful if OS arent the same.
Previous Topic: Using a fake IP as source
Next Topic: Centos 6.5 not booting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 23:25:38 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06931 seconds