OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Script to backup groups of vms each day via cron job (Not sure where to put this...)
Script to backup groups of vms each day via cron job [message #50891] Thu, 21 November 2013 14:50 Go to previous message
nolageek is currently offline  nolageek
I wrote the following script that will determine how many VMs are on the machine, divide the number by 5 (week days) and then backup one 1/5 of the VMs each day. This is so that I don't backup all 20+ VMs each day - it takes about 12 hours to do so.

You can easily change the number of days as well, if you like (to 7, for example.)

My problem is that I have it set up as a cron and it doesn't seem to run. Is it a permissions issue? I can run the following command as root and the script runs fine:

sh /root/vm-backup.sh

If I use this in the cron job, nothing happens.

5 0 * * 1,2,3,4,5 sh /root/vm-backup.sh

I tried this as well to get some output and it's always empty:

5 0 * * 1,2,3,4,5 sh /root/vm-backup.sh > /root/vm.backup.log

The file is at /root/vm-backup.sh and is set to 755 with +x (just to be safe)

I also tried 5 0 * * 1,2,3,4,5 /root/vm-backup.sh

#!/bin/sh

if [[ $(date +%u) -gt 4 ]] ; then
    echo 'Sorry, you cannot run this program today.'
    exit
fi

#figure out how many VMs we have, and figure out how many to backup each day of the week
TOTAL=`vzlist -H -o ctid|wc -l`
DAILY=$(($TOTAL/5))

# if Monday, backup first set of $SET number of VMs, if tuesday then second set, etc...
DAY="$(date +'%u')"
if [ $DAY -eq 1 ]
	then
		NUM1=1
		NUM2=$(($NUM1 + $DAILY))
	else
		NUM1=$((($DAILY * $DAY) + 1))
		NUM2=$(($NUM1 + $DAILY))
fi

# Get list of all VMs, removing leading whitespace
for VM in `vzlist -H -o ctid | sed 's/^[ \t]*//' | sed -n "$NUM1,$NUM2 p"`; do vzdump --suspend $VM --tmpdir /vz/dump/tmp; done

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 100 - is there something to worry about?
Next Topic: Comparison with Docker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 27 20:13:56 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03555 seconds