OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Ability to use VE as firewall? Recommended security pattern?
Ability to use VE as firewall? Recommended security pattern? [message #5081] Thu, 10 August 2006 17:53 Go to previous message
jbwiv is currently offline  jbwiv
Guys,

First of all, thanks for this project. It has really been a great experience so far!

I'm building an OpenVZ box that will host two types of VEs, hopefully. One set of VEs will have private IP addresses and will be NAT'd and PAT'd through a firewall. The other set of VEs will have public IP addresses, and will either live outside the firewall or will be set up as a bidirectional NAT.

What I'd like to know....can I run a VE and use it as THE firewall to do the above? I'm very concerned with using the Hardware host as a firewall in this regard, as I believe it makes it a target for compromise, and if successful ALL VEs are compromised as well.

So, is it possible?

Also, one thing that may complicate this is that VEs cannot see eachother over IP, and in the above possible configuration they would need to (at the very least, the Firewall VE would need to be able to see each VE it was NAT'ing, and vice versa. Is it possible to do this? Is this what veth is for? If so, can I run some VEs with veth and others with venet (i.e., veth only for those that I want to NAT). What are the implications here?

Finally, any other security concerns you would recommend I consider? I want to lock down as much as possible.

I appreciate the help and look forward to using (and contributing to) OpenVZ!

jbwiv

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Comparison
Next Topic: VE lo cal time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 14:44:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02786 seconds