OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » K-splice alternative (Rebootless OpenVZ kernel upgrades)
K-splice alternative [message #50708] Wed, 16 October 2013 15:48 Go to next message
zovet is currently offline  zovet
Is there any alternative to K-splice or any thing like K-splice that is available so that OpenVZ kernels can be installed without rebooting?

I'm not seeing where you can order a K-Spice license any more for OpenVZ. It's really a pain to have to reboot OpenVZ nodes about once a month to upgrade the kernel. Was hoping there was a way to avoid having to reboot and still get the security benefits of the updated kernel.
Re: K-splice alternative [message #50715 is a reply to message #50708] Thu, 17 October 2013 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
khorenko is currently offline  khorenko
Hi,

JFYI, the commercial product based on OpenVZ - Parallels Cloud Server - does have rebootless kernel update functionality.

http://www.parallels.com/products/pcs/ -> features
http://download.parallels.com/doc/pcs/html/Parallels_Cloud_S erver_Users_Guide/34984.htm

Unlike Ksplice it does not use online kernel patching technology, but basically uses enhanced kexec technology.

It makes vzreboot less fast, but it has it's own important advantage: it just boots the new kernel as a whole, so all features of new kernel will be available (despite of their complexity), all hardware drivers will be updated and so on unlike Ksplice.

(Containers are suspended and stay in the RAM before vzreboot and restored after the vzreboot => ~ no disk activity => very fast)

--
Konstantin

If your problem is solved - please, report it!
It's even more important than reporting the problem itself...

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2013 09:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: K-splice alternative [message #50731 is a reply to message #50708] Mon, 21 October 2013 16:52 Go to previous message
zovet is currently offline  zovet
Well, I've actually already got a VPS node set up with OpenVZ. Was hoping there was just some kind of drop in system I could use to make the kernel reboot-less.

But if there is nothing, I guess there's just nothing I can do about it. Just thought I would check.
Previous Topic: [SOLVED] IPTables connection tracking stopped working.
Next Topic: What are recommended Disk settings for a DB server?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 18 01:32:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05138 seconds