OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ container network speeds (unstable network speeds)  () 1 Vote
OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50260] Thu, 08 August 2013 15:34 Go to next message
peanuthost is currently offline  peanuthost
Hi guys,

Not sure how to explain this issue but ill be blunt and to the point,

I have a HN E3-1240v3 CPU, 32G ECC Ram, 8 x 512 Sammy 830 Series SSD running arc 1222 raid controller which is utilising 4 x 1 Gbit connection in bond0.

Network speeds are erratic they are up and down like god knows what one minute they can be 100MB/s next minute they are 2MB/s i've spent months looking for a reason as to why and i'm coming up with nothing, changed NIC's changed cables even changed switches. I asked SolusVM and get the same predefined responses so growing old of that.

ANY help or indication as to what may the issue be will be gratefully appreciated.
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50263 is a reply to message #50260] Thu, 08 August 2013 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
I can't help you much, but for thoughts:
what exactly kernel version you use?
do you use vswap configs for CTs?
do you see failcounter increase?
what distro is in CT?
do you tested problem with HN ( I assume you see problem only with CTs)
do you see same problem with stock kernel. You mentioned proxmox, so probably best way would be use rhel kernel (distributions centos, scientific linux), not debian.
maybe HN is running some network shaping stuff?
eliminate as mush as possible network hops (switches, routers, etc.)

as long as you can't exactly say how to reproduce problem it will be hard to solve problem.

btw, network equipment vendors and models can also help solve problem.

as example I recently debuged problem when in random times same file download with http had problems. problem was with cisco firewall and some settings.
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50265 is a reply to message #50260] Fri, 09 August 2013 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually this happens across several HN's all using the same kernel (2.6.32-042stab079.5)

The nodes are not running network shaping.
The switches are also not using rate limits.
We have tested with and without swap.
We have tested with several distros same results.
No failcount issues.

Ofcourse we have tested with the HN's we've done 4 weeks + testing being solusVM are not helpful :)~

eliminate as mush as possible network hops (switches, routers, etc.) It is not the problem the problem is on the node.

Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50267 is a reply to message #50260] Fri, 09 August 2013 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
I said try with stock kernel (it means distro kernel, not openvz).
for example in centos6 it would be kernel-2.6.32-358.14.1

dunno did you wrote swap in mistake or not, I was talking about vswap enabled configs:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Vswap
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50268 is a reply to message #50267] Fri, 09 August 2013 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course i meant vswap, and no i cannot test with stock kernel as it is a live environment i can't just pull it offline for a test that may or may not work sadly. But being this issue is on all nodes unstable networking i assumed it was or was not the kernel.
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50269 is a reply to message #50260] Fri, 09 August 2013 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
it is sad that you can't test with stock kernel.

than I suggest to submit bug report at https://bugzilla.openvz.org/
maybe openvz devs will solve your problem.

if you will submit a bug please inform in this thread.

btw what nic models you are using?
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50270 is a reply to message #50265] Fri, 09 August 2013 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
peanuthost wrote on Fri, 09 August 2013 10:26

eliminate as mush as possible network hops (switches, routers, etc.) It is not the problem the problem is on the node.

can you explain what does it mean "problem is on the node"?
this network problems are on the same node? where problem is- between HN ant CT, between CTs? please give as much as possible details.
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50271 is a reply to message #50270] Fri, 09 August 2013 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

Not sure if you work for OpenVZ or not ? But the problem is not the network the problem IS the OpenVZ nodes it is only happening with OpenVZ loaded systems. CT's have poor speeds to each other and in/out of network have poor speeds. Other dedicated servers, Shared servers etc run perfectly fine. I also haven't noticed this issue on the KVM servers either. So this leads me to think it is the OpenVZ kernel but i cant just pop a node offline to test it not with clients being on there there has to be reason, for warning.

the Nic's are IntelĀ® 82579LM and 82574L, 2x Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports

Motherboard link below. We first thought it could be the bond setup so we removed bond on THIS particular server.

h**://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/xeon/c202_c204/ x9scl-f.cfm
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50274 is a reply to message #50260] Sat, 10 August 2013 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
I don't work for openvz.
Now you are saying that with non openvz kernels everything works ok, that means you tested other kernels.

if you know that it is only openvz problem than submit a bug
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50275 is a reply to message #50274] Sat, 10 August 2013 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never said i tested other kernels i said other servers i.e dedicated / shared / kvm dont have this issue so is it the OpenVZ kernel ? there is a difference between asking and telling my friend. i want support not a bug report. Hence me posting this in this thread i appreciate your help and all but it isn't creative Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 10 August 2013 09:25]

Report message to a moderator

Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50285 is a reply to message #50260] Sun, 11 August 2013 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
We'll you have tested something for 4 weeks (or even months?), as you say, while we haven't laid our eyes on it, not once. In the light of things, your posts aren't exactly full of information and test results.

If you're convinced it's the openvz kernel's fault, then you'll need to open a bug report to get this fixed, end of story.

If you're not completely sure, get us up to speed with as much information as possible and we'll invest our *free time* (as this is a community of openvz users) to help you out if we can.

What we know, so far:
- hw spec, mb, nic model etc.
- kernel version
- no network shaping used
- tested with and without vswap
- tested with several distros (as CTs, I assume)
- no failcount issues
- CT's have poor speeds to each other and in/out of network.

Ok, so:
- what OS do you use, vztools version?
- does the HN itself suffer from poor network speeds to the CTs and/or in/out of the network?
- did you try older or testing openvz kernels and if so, which ones?
- you mention more than one HN with similar symptoms, is the heardware/software the same or..?
- can you free this HN for testing?
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #50286 is a reply to message #50275] Sun, 11 August 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paparaciz
peanuthost wrote on Sat, 10 August 2013 12:24
I never said i tested other kernels i said other servers i.e dedicated / shared / kvm dont have this issue so is it the OpenVZ kernel ? there is a difference between asking and telling my friend. i want support not a bug report. Hence me posting this in this thread i appreciate your help and all but it isn't creative Smile

openvz project support is community driven, so people give their free time to help. You by giving as much as possible information about Your issue also help to resolve Your problem.

If You, as described in few replies sure that this is kernel bug, than You have to submit bug. If it is a bug and You still don't want to submit bug than community can help by submiting a bug, give a link to this thread and finally we will stick to You where you can show how to reproduce, confirm is it fixed and give as much as possible help to resolve issue. get deal with this.

a real support can be given for You, as mentioned in wiki.openvz.org: http://www.parallels.com/support/virtualization-suite/openvz /
Re: OpenVZ container network speeds [message #51084 is a reply to message #50260] Sun, 26 January 2014 13:07 Go to previous message
ccto is currently offline  ccto
I also have a similar motherboard (Intel Server board),
it runs RHEL 6.3, the attached 82574L will crash the server (probably under high network traffic load).

You may try to apply some ROM patch
http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/e1000e%20stable/ eeprom_fix_82574_or_82583/

But my final solution: use 82579?? for high traffic NIC instead.
Previous Topic: Openvz Template > OpenSuse - Yast Bug
Next Topic: Network configuration problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 02:16:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02649 seconds