OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Same IP address on multiple containers
Same IP address on multiple containers [message #49770] Sat, 15 June 2013 00:50
Pascal is currently offline  Pascal
The only hypervisor I have ever used is VMware. I'm considering OpenVZ for my latest project, but would like to make sure it will do what I need first.

The server will be in a data center connected to many different customers. The server will have a single Ethernet card, running vlan trunking, with each customer on a different vlan. Each container will be assigned to a particular customer, and thus to a particular vlan. The IP addressing for each container will be determined by each customer. Each container will need to have its own routing table. It will be possible for two different customers to use overlapping IP addresses. Basically a multi-vrf setup.

So for example, customer 2 controls container 2 in vlan 2, and they want their container to have an IP address of 192.168.1.2 with a default gateway of 192.168.1.1, while customer 3 in container 3 in vlan 3 also wants their container at 192.168.1.2, but their default gateway may be at 192.168.1.254.

On VMware this is not a problem because guests are fully virtualized. Will this setup work in a paravirtualized environment such as OpenVZ? Any problem with both containers running a DHCP server for their respective vlans?
Previous Topic: IPTABLES FIREWALL - errors loading xt_tcpudp
Next Topic: Confused with network interfaces...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 01 15:47:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05778 seconds