OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Quick Question - Minimum VPS specs to run WHM/cPanel (Setup)
Quick Question - Minimum VPS specs to run WHM/cPanel [message #49654] Tue, 28 May 2013 13:49 Go to next message
cerriex is currently offline  cerriex
Hi,

Quick question for you.

I have a Dell PowerEdge 1950 III 2x Quad Core E5450 3.00Ghz 16GB RAM 146GB PERC6 Server.

This server will be used primarily for web hosting via WHM/cPanel and also 2nd for selling VPS via OpenVZ.

I understand the preferred method to install is: Install CentOS minimal on hardware node > Install OpenVZ > Create a VPS > Install WHM/cPanel on the VPS.

Now my question is what SPECs do I give my main master VPS that will be running all of the web hosting? Can I tell it to use all available recourses?

I only ask this as i fear running all of my web hosting from one VPS may bottle neck the system?

Would you recommend installing WHM/cPanel before OpenVZ so WHM/cPanel can take advantage of the full hardware capabilities?

Thanks for any advice Surprised)
Re: Quick Question - Minimum VPS specs to run WHM/cPanel [message #49662 is a reply to message #49654] Tue, 28 May 2013 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
I would not recommend installing WHM/cPanel before OpenVZ. I suggest installing a barebone OS for the node and using containers for everything else.

As for the minimum specs needed for cPanel/WHM container, you should refer to the software authors documentation. You can always start with the minimum and increase the resources later.
Re: Quick Question - Minimum VPS specs to run WHM/cPanel [message #49691 is a reply to message #49654] Sun, 02 June 2013 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdoss is currently offline  jdoss

Do not install cPanel/WHM on the hardware node. It is a bad idea since cPanel/WHM will make a lot of changes to the server.

You want to have it installed inside of a CT. You should be fine running cPanel/WHM on a 1Gb RAM CT. If you streamline the services started by cPanel and you configure Apache/mySQL to use less RAM, you can get away with 512M of RAM. Some people will say that is too little but I have seen it done well.

Joe Doss
@jdoss
Re: Quick Question - Minimum VPS specs to run WHM/cPanel [message #49693 is a reply to message #49691] Sun, 02 June 2013 09:04 Go to previous message
cerriex is currently offline  cerriex
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. Ended up installing only a minimal CentOS on hardware and made a VPS for the hosting. G
Previous Topic: Templates - NetBSD
Next Topic: Ubuntu 12.x on CentOS 5
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 08 22:21:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02844 seconds