OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Fileserver for a small cluster (Whats the best way to serve containers to a small cluster?)
Fileserver for a small cluster [message #49063] Sat, 09 March 2013 10:48 Go to next message
JMux is currently offline  JMux
Hello there,

I am planning a small openvz cluster, I would like all the nodes to have small boot drives and have the containers served to them somehow. My question is how is it best to do this? from a separate NAS, or from a node (with a larger HDD attached) running a virtual fileserver allong with other VMs (I would assume this fileserver would have to start first, and be non migratable), or something else?

What happens to the filesystem of the container when I live migrate a machine? could I start all the machines on one node and then distribute them throughout the cluster using live migration? This is the only way I can think of not having to run smbfs on the nodes (which I hear is not advised).

As you can tell I'm pretty new to this, so sorry if these are stupid questions!

Thanks in advance

J

EDIT: so from my further research it looks like the entire private area is transferred during live migration, which would I think make a NAS the best option?

Using this, I could mount the same disk on all the nodes --> could I checkpoint a container and start it on another node without transferring any data? if both nodes had access to the same drive (containing the container private area and the checkpoint).

[Updated on: Sun, 10 March 2013 18:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fileserver for a small cluster [message #49123 is a reply to message #49063] Wed, 27 March 2013 21:40 Go to previous message
JMux is currently offline  JMux
Sorry to reply to my own thread, but I think this requires an extra post.

I am attempting to run containers with their private area stored entirely on a NFS mount and am having some issues:

In the ve: (debian)

root@ve:/# apt-get update
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock -open (5: Input/output error)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock -open (5: Input/output error)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Are there any fundamental problems with running a container in an nfs share? Am I dong something silly?

Note that the /vz/root/ is not in the nfs share.

Thanks for your help

j
Previous Topic: Container won't start
Next Topic: Ubuntu 12.10 container has problems with dhcp and default route
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 17:39:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03283 seconds