OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Slow yum fastestmirror centos (yum fastestmirror plugin waits a long time until running the speed test)
Slow yum fastestmirror centos [message #49006] Thu, 14 February 2013 18:22 Go to next message
nerdsite is currently offline  nerdsite
This is an annoyance, but I haven't been able to figure out why. Only under OpenVZ containers do I see this issue. I'm using the latest stable centos 5.9 kernel. When yum first tries to run the fastestmirror plugin it waits 1-3 minutes and then runs the mirror speeds (as seen w/ verbose plugin mode). After that things run fast, including rebuilding the plugin host file. I'm not sure what it's doing prior to running the DNS queries, but it's quite annoying. This happens on ALL my openvz installations (guests only). Runs fine on the host. Anyone run into this? It has also been doing this for the last couple of years. Changing the resolv.conf doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks!
Re: Slow yum fastestmirror centos [message #49014 is a reply to message #49006] Wed, 20 February 2013 15:45 Go to previous message
Metalmurphy is currently offline  Metalmurphy
I'm having the exact same problem, except for me it's more then 3minutes, it's more like over 10 minutes. Running yum with --noplugins works, but the problem is when installing cPanel it runs a yum update with the plugins enabled and it takes ages.

And like you said, it only happens on VMs and not the host. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out why and how to fix it but no luck,
Previous Topic: kernel: proc: unrecognized mount option "relatime" or missing value
Next Topic: dropping network on container
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 03 23:21:02 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05592 seconds