OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Fair amount of IO usage?
Fair amount of IO usage? [message #48936] Mon, 21 January 2013 12:49 Go to next message
tmikaeld is currently offline  tmikaeld
Hello,

I couldn't find any answer to this question.

How can i fairly split IO resources between 4 VZ containers on one server?
Re: Fair amount of IO usage? [message #48941 is a reply to message #48936] Tue, 22 January 2013 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amissus is currently offline  amissus
What about ioprio?

openvz.org/I/O_priorities_for_containers
Re: Fair amount of IO usage? [message #48948 is a reply to message #48941] Thu, 24 January 2013 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
amissus wrote on Tue, 22 January 2013 14:10
What about ioprio?

openvz.org/I/O_priorities_for_containers

Which I think is already set to evenly split priorities by default.

This seems to work on CentOS 6 based OpenVZ but does not work very well if at all on CentOS 5. On CentOS 5 I had one customer hogging lots of I/O and when I reduced their I/O priority from the default of 4 to 3 it seemed to negatively affect the entire server load and would kill their I/O.

After I upgraded the server to CE6 their I/O was much more controlled at the default of 4 and didn't seem to affect other customers as much.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2013 17:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fair amount of IO usage? [message #48953 is a reply to message #48948] Fri, 25 January 2013 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i have read several threads about CentoOS users having problems with IO scheduler and overconsumption of IO.
But there also seem to be differences between each VZ kernel, some work terrible and some work great.

I guess i'd have to handle it on the road..

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2013 07:31]

Re: Fair amount of IO usage? [message #48955 is a reply to message #48953] Fri, 25 January 2013 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
tmikaeld wrote on Fri, 25 January 2013 02:31
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i have read several threads about CentoOS users having problems with IO scheduler and overconsumption of IO.
But there also seem to be differences between each VZ kernel, some work terrible and some work great.

My advice is to upgrade to CE6. Our servers have been solid as a rock since we upgraded. it seems to handle things like memory and I/O sharing better, no more issues with Java due to the new memory management, and you can do things like PPTP VPN.

We also had issues with the network interface dying on CE5 OpenVZ every few weeks requiring a reboot and that went away when we updated to CE6.

[Updated on: Fri, 25 January 2013 18:58]

Re: Fair amount of IO usage? [message #48958 is a reply to message #48955] Sat, 26 January 2013 09:42 Go to previous message
mustardman wrote on Fri, 25 January 2013 13:55
tmikaeld wrote on Fri, 25 January 2013 02:31
Thanks for the replies.

My advice is to upgrade to CE6. Our servers have been solid as a rock since we upgraded. it seems to handle things like memory and I/O sharing better, no more issues with Java due to the new memory management, and you can do things like PPTP VPN.

We also had issues with the network interface dying on CE5 OpenVZ every few weeks requiring a reboot and that went away when we updated to CE6.

Thank you for the advice, i'm sure more people use CE5 still.

But we are using Debian 6 at the moment, don't know if there is problems with this over there - at least i don't think so, haven't found any.

I mostly wanted to make sure that IO was divided equally, and it seem to be.
Previous Topic: How to use the second ip address? [solved]
Next Topic: openVZ and Openswan IPsec
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 26 21:30:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04770 seconds